SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Turn Buckle Threads (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/11517-turn-buckle-threads.html)

aphil138 04-11-2005 05:35 PM

Turn Buckle Threads

What does everyone use to lubricate the turnbuckles for the standing rigging. I am always looking for new ideas.

Alan
"UNABATED"
P424

Jeff_H 04-11-2005 06:50 PM

Turn Buckle Threads

Lanacote

kimberlite 04-12-2005 09:17 AM

Turn Buckle Threads

Lanacote is the stuff to use.
while you have them without cotter pins . try putting in a machine screw with a nylock instead of the pin.
easier to remove, doesn''t cath on things,
doesn''t need rigging tape.
fair winds,
eric

Jeff_H 04-12-2005 10:13 AM

Turn Buckle Threads

With all due respect, using a bolt instead of a clevis probably is not a great idea. Clevis pins are generally forged while bolts are not. In other words, a normal bolt of equal diameter has substantially less strength than a clevis. Also you need to worry about using excctly the right length bolt so that you do not end up with threads bearing on the jaws and so that the bolt is tight enough not to allow the jaws to spread.

Jeff

TrueBlue 04-12-2005 10:50 AM

Turn Buckle Threads

I must agree with Jeff re: the suggestion of using bolts instead of cotter and clevis pins on standing rigging turnbuckles. If the look of tape offends you, use turnbuckle covers.

Steve

aphil138 04-12-2005 05:20 PM

Turn Buckle Threads

Lanacote.... Thanks
BTW,I would never use a bolt in place of a clevis. Way too soft even a hardened one is only case hardened.

Thermal 04-13-2005 08:56 PM

Turn Buckle Threads

I got the impression that Kimberlite was suggesting using a macine screw instead of the cotter pin, not instead of the clevis...

Jeff_H 04-14-2005 04:12 AM

Turn Buckle Threads

I think that the idea of a machine screw instead of a cotter only makes sense on a very big boat where you mught be using 1/8" diameter cotter pins or bolts. Even there there are issues. The hole for the cotter pin should be very close to the jaw so that the jaws can not spread wider. If you use a bolt, the nut will need clearance in order to be free to turn which means that there will need to be more clearance than is normal for a cotter pin.

Jeff

kimberlt 04-14-2005 12:52 PM

Turn Buckle Threads

jeff,
i meant for machine screws and nylocks to be used instead if cotter pins.
The nylock and screw serves the same function as the cotter pins - to keep the turnbuckle from turning. it is also beneficial as there is nothing to catch and
you do not have to use tape. the tape can lead to crevice corrosion and is nasty looking. works great on small and large boats.
fair winds,
''eric

kimberlt 04-14-2005 12:54 PM

Turn Buckle Threads

to clarify even further- use the bolt/nylock setup only in the turnbuckle.
eric