LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
Re: bottom pressure wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltthesalt View Post
Right. Assuming the pressure washer is operated with a tip to give 800 to 1200 PSI it appears that a washer submerged with 16 psi of sea back pressure isn't significantly different than operating a washer out of water with no back pressure. For house paint you pick a the nozzle tip to avoid removing paint from too high a pressure. Seems like that would be the same underwater with a hard paint.
Hey, rationalize all you want, but what I'm telling you is based on over 19 years of professional hull cleaning experience. But it's your boat and your dime. Let us know how it works out for you if you go forward with this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Some time ago I read about bottom cleaning using a pressure cleaner although it was used on commercial vessels. The pressure cleaning device was essentially a double ended wand with matching tips on each end to account for Newton's action/reaction law and was only effective on soft growth. Hard growth though, barnacles and such, were removed with a commercial version of a device known as a "Wave Blade", basically a vibrating bottom scraper. With these devices a crew of two made reasonably short work of cleaning the bottom of a sizable ship. Again, as others have mentioned, I question the efficacy of this approach with ablative paint but with hard paint, it might be an alternative for owner maintenance. For my part, unless we're on a cruise and the yacht needs a quick once-over in an anchorage, I prefer relying on a knowledgeable diver.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-05-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltthesalt View Post
FYI
Wash. Dept of Ecology allows in water bottom cleaning for "hard" bottom paints. The details on what it considers to be "hard" is on thier website: Hull Cleaning and Boat Washing | Clean Green Boating | Washington State Department of Ecology
Some marinas, maybe Edmonds, apply restrictions beyond what DoE requires.
That page doesn't really define what "soft" is beyond what the manufacturers say. Anything sold as ablative counts as soft as far as the state is concerned.

There are certainly lots of devices that one can find for cleaning the bottom from the dock. Most look like a long pole with a dogleg halfway down and some sort of sponge at the end.

I have Micron 66, so no in water cleaning for me. I'd be curious to know what hard paints people are getting 2-3 year service out of in Puget Sound.
Old 01-05-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I'm recalling seeing at the westlake WM a pole with a hose attachment and a sponge for cleaning bottoms. But could be wrong on the hose attachment part.

From a pole standpoing, sprinkler pipe with a long electric pipe sweep works in the 1 1/4" pipe works. I use a extendable painters pole with a foldable extension on the end, so I can angle the brush end. I use a fine scrubby in reality.......

Many ways of getting to the bottom from the dock.

Marty
Old 01-05-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
That page doesn't really define what "soft" is beyond what the manufacturers say. Anything sold as ablative counts as soft as far as the state is concerned.

There are certainly lots of devices that one can find for cleaning the bottom from the dock. Most look like a long pole with a dogleg halfway down and some sort of sponge at the end.

I have Micron 66, so no in water cleaning for me. I'd be curious to know what hard paints people are getting 2-3 year service out of in Puget Sound.
Alex--

We have been using Pettit Trinadad SR for the past 12 years on the southwest coast of Florida where I would expect bottom fouling would be much faster/worse than what you might experience in the colder waters of the northwest and we have been very happy with the product. We haul the boat at 3 year intervals as that seems long enough to go between personally inspecting the bottom ashore but, given the condition of the paint at such times, we could easily have gone another year or two. (Note that I have a diver that cleans the bottom every six weeks between October and April and at 3-4 week intervals between May and September. (He generally reports very little growth and that mostly on the running gear or bottom of the keel where the yacht sometimes sticks in the mud at low water Spring tides)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 01-05-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Add addendum
Old 01-05-2014

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info. This is kind of a job of knocking off the big stuff. We'll need a diver later on. Separately it was suggested that I try a wand with a gutter cleaning attachment with a nozzle protector. Low cost and worth a try. Thanks
Cal-29
Old 01-08-2014

nighthawk is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: bottom pressure wash

Okay, embarrasing story time---
I was once employed as a roller coaster mechinc in several amusement parks. At one of them we had to remove excess grease from the track, loops and all. It was considered too large of a task to perform by hand, so we came up with an idea to use a climber with a pressure washer. Being one of the more experienced climbers, I enthusiastically started at the top of a loop hanging from a rope with the pressure washer, lowering myself down as I cleaned. Worked like a charm until I had so much rope that every time I pulled the trigger, the jet would push me backwards and around in circles. That was almost 15 years ago, and the story is still around haunting me. I can only imagine the fun your marina mates will have telling the story of how you went shooting out from under your boat for years to come.

~~When you decide to become a sailor, you start with a full barrel of luck and an empty cup of experience. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry.~~
Old 01-08-2014

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I'd be curious to know what hard paints people are getting 2-3 year service out of in Puget Sound.
I got 3 years of good use of Trinidad SR on my Catalina 30 in Edmonds.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown