Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-14-2005

ddilman is an unknown quantity at this point
child safety

We have a 3 year old and a 6 year old. We just bought our first boat, Catalina 36. We will be doing mostly daysailing and some weekend cruising.
We would like to know what safety measures we should take?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2005
Catalina 38 Avantura

duffer1960 is on a distinguished road
child safety

We hav a 5 year old and 3 1/2 year old. This will be our third season in a 38 footer. The best thing we did (especially four our hearts) was install safety netting on all of the lifelines. I keeps them in, and keeps us from having a heart attack every time they go near the sides.

Other than that, we keep life jackets on them at all times they are out of the cabin or on the dock. Get the good ones with the head floation and the grab loop on the back. The loop has another good use besides helping to fish them out of the water after they fall off of the dock (happened twice); they make a great short leash when they are not listening while walking down the dock or through the parking lot.

We also bought them harnesses and tethers, but have never used them. If it gets rough enough, they just stay in the cabin and play.

Also have a large fishing net handy for retreiving the stuff they lose over the side; intentionally or unintentionally.

Have fun!
Old 04-17-2005

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
child safety

My husband and I cruised on our 32'' sail boat from Chicago to Tampa Bay, FL, via the east coast, with our 2 year old daughter on board. We had installed life line netting as well and found it too be very reassuring. We also found that a life jacket was great on dinghy trips and strolling the docks but when we were under way we preffered a safety harness with a tether attached to the cockpit. We were always convinced that if for a split second we turned our head we would be comfortable to know that our daughter was attached to the boat and that she would never be lost in the waves behind us (even with a life jacket on). She was very comfortable with a harness and was able to move freely with jack -lines that we ran stern to bow. The harness was especially comfortable in warm weather when a life jacket can get a little stuffy. She learned to always come up on deck with her "seat belt" in hand and never made much fuss. We met a couple of live aboard families that were cruising and they all had different safety measures. What ever safety means you do choose be sure to be consistent on them wearing life jackets or harnesses at all times. Good luck and happy sailing!
Old 04-17-2005

child safety

I will run a jackline from stern to bow and have them wear their life vest at all times as well as netting.
I am playing with an idea alternate to wearing a harness over their life vest. I am thinking to have a tether line loope around the three life vest buckels in front and the other end to the jackline. How do you feel about that?
Old 04-20-2005

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
child safety

Sounds great! I have met many parents that secure a line to life- jackets. If the safety line is secured to the front of the life jacket be sure its secure enough that little fingers cant untie or unclip their line. Having kids aboard is great fun, enjoy!
Old 04-26-2005

child safety

Thank you for the great advise! We''re looking forward to sailing with them.