Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Towing and trailer questions.

Ok, Bruce, not to be all one up or anything.

But I launched and retrieved with no extension from the bumper of my pickup, I have a 4'2" keel. hehehe... Very steep ramp! NO I don't want to do it again (this is my second season doing that).

I'm on my 3rd attempt to setup a set of heavy duty dolly wheels, I think it's time I moved on to installing an extendable tongue on the trailer.

Anyway, if we are talking about a shoal keel, launching is less an issue than you'd think. Just need a decent ramp, but true if it's a shallow ramp you'll need the extension, good news is they aren't rare..

Another boat trailer to consider is the Capri 22 trailer (again if you are talking a shoal keel Oday 23). Also good news is most of the first generation ones had tongue extensions built in.
Old 03-13-2014

utchuckd is on a distinguished road

There's a trailer that's hit craigslist locally that I'm going to look at. It would need a little modification to fit my boat to it, but it's a good enough buy possibly to justify it if it's in good enough condition. One question tho, it has rollers down the middle of it, are those ok or will I need to replace with a full length board for the keel to sit on?
Old 03-13-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Check the towing capacity in the owners manual before any purchase and make sure the towing capacity exceeds the combined weight of the boat trailer and motor.
O'Day 23 weighs how much?
7,000lbs or so.
I would think a 1/2 Ton Pick up or SUV should pull it.
Are you planning on launching and retrieving at a ramp? Than I would make sure you have a 4WD vehicle for the slippery slimey ramps.
And remember,towing is very stressful on the transmission as well,so that should be checked.
The transmission is almost always the weakest point in a vehicle used for towing (with brakes next). If you are going to tow any distance at all, it's worth it to invest in a transmission cooler, and surge or electric trailer brakes.

That, and make sure you have a good hitch (not the one that is part of the bumper).

I tow a center console boat that weighs 6000 pounds. You know it's back there.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The transmission is almost always the weakest point in a vehicle used for towing (with brakes next). If you are going to tow any distance at all, it's worth it to invest in a transmission cooler, and surge or electric trailer brakes.

That, and make sure you have a good hitch (not the one that is part of the bumper).

I tow a center console boat that weighs 6000 pounds. You know it's back there.
I bought a truck about a month ago, found an older 1 ton pickup, heavy duty fame, big frame mounted hitch, trailer brake box, it could pull a house if I hooked it up, but in my price range a little older and uglier and more functional was worth more than a little newer and prettier. I do need to double check that transmission tho, thanks.
Old 03-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
I bought a truck about a month ago, found an older 1 ton pickup, heavy duty fame, big frame mounted hitch, trailer brake box, it could pull a house if I hooked it up, but in my price range a little older and uglier and more functional was worth more than a little newer and prettier. I do need to double check that transmission tho, thanks.
Check for a small radiator in front of the main radiator. It may already have a transmission cooler. Most one tons come from the factory with one (the one ton we had at work even had a temperature gauge for the transmission on the dashboard).

And, you're right, a one ton should pull just about any boat that will fit on a normal trailer and even some bigger ones. I towed a 26 foot sailboat on a trailer with our one ton (I don't remember the weight, but it had a solid lead keel) on a triple axle trailer, and it barely knew it was back there.

The good thing about heavy trucks like one tons, is that they are usually good buys used, because they are so overbuilt, that unless they were hauling and towing heavy stuff all of the time, they are probably in better mechanical shape than the cosmetics indicate.
utchuckd likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 03-14-2014

Are pads or full length bunks down the side better or worse either way on a trailer?
Old 03-14-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Check for a small radiator in front of the main radiator. It may already have a transmission cooler.
Hardly a very conclusive test. That could be a power steering cooler, an oil cooler, or the A/C condenser. You really need to check that the radiator has lines going from it to the transmission.
Old 03-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Hardly a very conclusive test. That could be a power steering cooler, an oil cooler, or the A/C condenser. You really need to check that the radiator has lines going from it to the transmission.
I'm trying to make it easy for the people who didn't take auto mechanics in high school

I should have said, "Look for an extra radiator and then follow the lines."

Old 03-14-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

I have towed my J24s all over the place and you do well know there back there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
Are pads or full length bunks down the side better or worse either way on a trailer?
Pads are fine.. but be sure to stop periodically to make sure they are not backing off. I stopped every hundred miles and would always find one loosening up.

Towing can be strenuous.. not only on the boat and truck.. but on you. Do not be afraid to stop and take a walk around just so you stay refreshed and alert
utchuckd likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha