Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Towing and trailer questions.

Looking to get a truck for work and a trailer to bring my boat home occasionally to do some work on it and want to make sure I get enough to do the job. Is the displacement of my boat the figure I should use for it's weight? Plus any gear and the trailer itself and all? And do I need to get a trailer specifically for a boat? Or can I take any trailer heavy duty enough to haul it and modify it? We're talking maybe 2-3 times a year, max.
Old 01-05-2014

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Towing and trailer questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
.....do I need to get a trailer specifically for a boat? Or can I take any trailer heavy duty enough to haul it and modify it?
swing keel, fin or wing.....??

I would think you'd be much better off trying to find a previously owned trailer that towed a Catalina 22 or Oday than buying any old trailer to modify.
Old 01-05-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

The displacement weight is the dry weight of the boat, so it ignored the weight of the motor (if an outboard), ice chests, ect...

I would look a round for a used sailboat trailer, but they can be somewhat rare. If you can't find one you can easily take any heavy duty trailer, or powerboat trailer and modify it with uprights for a sailboat. Assuming you are a decent welder it takes a long day to get it done, and I would advise looking at a few sailboat trailers for ideas on how to build it.

Your boat isn't that heavy, so no need to go crazy with structures, just some steel tubes, threaded rod, and large winds nuts works fine.
Old 01-05-2014

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

Down here in Atlanta there are usually a few sailboat trailers for sale, especially for your size boat. I would think it pretty easy to find one where you are.

You can look up the info on your boat. Plenty of O'day info out there and you have a popular model. OdayOwners.com - Home is good.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Check the towing capacity in the owners manual before any purchase and make sure the towing capacity exceeds the combined weight of the boat trailer and motor.
O'Day 23 weighs how much?
7,000lbs or so.
I would think a 1/2 Ton Pick up or SUV should pull it.
Are you planning on launching and retrieving at a ramp? Than I would make sure you have a 4WD vehicle for the slippery slimey ramps.
And remember,towing is very stressful on the transmission as well,so that should be checked.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-05-2014
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

I trailer my Catalina 22 with a Ford F150 with a tow package, my trailer is single axle with extended tongue, makes loading and unloading very nice and dry. My displacement is 2490 lbs. while your O'Day is 3425, but that in itself doesn't really mean that much. A half ton truck, and mine has a tow package, should be able to safely tow somewhere in 5,000 to 6,000 pound range which should be fine for you, your boat and trailer. More importantly to me is the trailer, a boat your size should be towed on a tandem axle and have surge breaks as well as an extendable tongue. One other thing I would look at with the trailer is a set of load levelers or anti sway bars, I used these with my previous boat which had a displacement of 3,000 pounds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Old 01-05-2014
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Catalina 22, Oday 23, could be towed with a mid sized SUV... But if you should go that route I'd make sure the trailer has some kind of brakes, inertia or electric.

Dakota or Ranger will tow your 23 no problem.

Find a Catalina 22, or Hunter 23 trailer, both common enough boats. A trailer with adjustable pads or bunks should work nicely. The Oday 23 with centerboard will sit nice and low on the trailer, so trailering should be pretty easy if it's wide enough.

Another option if you don't have the truck, is to rent one from Uhaul or the like. Verify that towing is included in the rental agreement.

But yeah, Ranger, to 1500, is fine for towing that boat.

As for weight? I'd add up an estimated weight of all YOUR stuff, then add the weight of the motor (if outboard), and then weight of the trailer (figure safe number is about #1000). If that #3450 is a good number for displacement, you are probably pushing #5000 all up... that's a pretty good sized package.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 01-06-2014

utchuckd is on a distinguished road

Thanks, all! Great info and I appreciate it.
Old 01-06-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

when I bought my Sea Sprite 23, it was on lake Champlain. I towed it down to Atlantic City behind my Land Rover. Through the mountains and traffic of NY and northern NJ without an issue. Displacement of 3350 pounds.

I found out afterwards that the surge brakes were inop.. so my truck did all the braking without any issue

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-2014

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan22 View Post
... my trailer is single axle with extended tongue, makes loading and unloading very nice and dry. . .
An extended tongue is the key to painless launch and retrieval...My keel is pretty deep and my trailer disappears on launch while my rear wheels on my F-150 are bone dry. My extension adds 16 feet to the tongue !!!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.