Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2014

bajaking is on a distinguished road
Re: Mount above-deck gas tank below-deck?

The more I think about it, the less I'm inclined to move the tank below deck. The cabin is currently clean and odor free, and bilge is clean and dry as a bone, and I'd like things to stay that way.
HyLyte -- I didn't know such tanks existed. Thanks for pointing that out, and going to the effort of photoshopping one on a Cal! I think I may just go that route. There's little room to work with for setting up a standard boxy tank in the aft cockpit/transom/taffrail area, so that odd tank may be just the ticket. I can make a canvas cover to reduce the ugly factor and provide some sun protection.

Last edited by bajaking; 01-08-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

You don't need to make a cover. Just paint the tank (leaving the top surfaces red). The portion that crosses the shear strip can be painted "Pepsi Blue" (I assume that's the color of yours as it was the most common on Cal's) and the lower portion white to blend in with the hull. Just use a plastic primer and then a common semi-gloss latex paint. It won't last forever but it will several years at a time and certainly until you get your inboard replaced. And, the tank can later be used for your dinghy, eh?

Good Luck...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-08-2014

Mine has the "vomit red" stripe.
Now, if I can only find out where to buy one of these tanks. There's a 6 gallon on ebay for $200. I notice the Moeller site says "approved for use in Australia, New Zealand, Japan". I wonder what that's about.
Old 01-08-2014

azguy is on a distinguished road

I think if you ran a vent hose you have no problem at all. I'd rather not have that tank mounted on my stern.
Old 01-08-2014

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

Maybe I missed something here but couldn't you use the existing fuel tank. Just suck out the diesel or whatever is in it and fill it with fresh gas. Run a hose to the outboard and bingo!! all done. It must have a tank if it has an inboard.
Old 01-08-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaking View Post
Mine has the "vomit red" stripe.
Now, if I can only find out where to buy one of these tanks. There's a 6 gallon on ebay for $200. I notice the Moeller site says "approved for use in Australia, New Zealand, Japan". I wonder what that's about.
Humm...

A quick search reveals these units still being offered by Budget Marine in Martinique but no longer offered by either Defender or West Marine or other state-side vendors (of which I was not aware when I offered my suggestion and for which I have no explanation). Other than the used equipment-market, state-side, I don't see many economic solutions to obtaining one. As a practical matter, if you have some building/fabrication skills, you could make up a small platform that your could temporarily hang on your transom to secure a 3-gallon tank to while you were sailing/under-way (but storing them in the ****-pit while you're away from/off the boat). In any case, I would not succumb to the temptation to temporarily mount an outboard tank below deck, elongated vent tube or not.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post
Maybe I missed something here but couldn't you use the existing fuel tank. Just suck out the diesel or whatever is in it and fill it with fresh gas. Run a hose to the outboard and bingo!! all done. It must have a tank if it has an inboard.
I considered that for a minute, but I can't imagine what's inside the tank. Engine seized at least 5 years ago, per p.o., so I suspect there's some 5 year old diesel in there. The tank exterior and its connecting hoses are all sketchy looking. Disposal of the tank is one of my next projects.

I will probably end up just mounting a 3 gallon tank on a small platform atop the transom. Or do nothing and live with it in the cockpit. Oh well. Shame those dinghymates aren't available.
Old 01-08-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I think if you ran a vent hose you have no problem at all. I'd rather not have that tank mounted on my stern.
The fuel fill cannot be below deck. It is both an ABYC and Coast Guard regulation - eg a law.

If there was a fire I doubt your insurance would pay out either.

Tags
cal 27 , fuel , gas tank , outboard