SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Optima Batterys (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/11585-optima-batterys.html)

Dave A 04-25-2005 05:11 PM

Optima Batterys

I am going to replace my batterys (3) and have a chance to get a good price on Optima through a friend. I know nothing about this brand other than they get high praise. What are your opinions and what model is recommended.

TIA - Dave A

RichardElliott 04-26-2005 07:47 AM

Optima Batterys

I have had great luck with Optimas, the first lasting 10 years. I currently have two, one conventional starting battery and one of the new deep cycles. I don''t know if the story is true, but my dealer claims that the deep cycle only became available recently because the military was taking all of their production.

windship 04-26-2005 10:50 AM

Optima Batterys

I had two Sears Die Hards last me ten years.
I don''t think you will beat Interstate or Trojan price and numbers.
How much did you pay for the Optimas?

Dennis

RichardElliott 04-27-2005 04:51 PM

Optima Batterys

I value glass gel batteries very highly compared to conventional acid-filled batteries- No acid leakage and no need to fill them ever. I too have had good experience with Die Hards, but I think we are talking apples vs. oranges.

Dave A 04-27-2005 05:06 PM

Optima Batterys

Thanks for the replys, I will most likly get the optimas. I plan on getting the deep cycle battery, as for price I''m not sure yet I have a friend in the busness who will get them for me at what ever his price is. The present batterys are all old and I wanted to replace them all at the same time.
Fair Winds - Dave A

PaulBl 04-28-2005 04:16 PM

Optima Batterys

I quite like the Optima Blue as a starting battery. But for a house bank I went with two Lifeline group 4 AGM"s.

The optima as a starting battery has been a military standard for years. The dealer where I got mine sold box car loads to the various miltary bases here in SE VA.

wwilson 04-29-2005 10:15 AM

Optima Batterys

PaulBl,

How long have you had the Lifelines? Interested - I just installed three. Cheap they''re not, but lots of advantages.

Wayne

windship 05-01-2005 08:25 AM

Optima Batterys

Richard,
I don''t think its apples and oranges.
You said that you had two Optimas last you ten years as if they were super batteries so I then pointed out that I had two batts, that aren''t very well respected in the marine battery arena, last me the same period of time.
Its good to get opinions but you have to reasearch, run the specs and consider cost yourself. Only then should you choose what brand or type to buy.
How much did you guys pay for your Optimas? I have specs for them but do not yet have prices.

Dennis

jfranta 05-04-2005 09:51 AM

Optima Batterys

Great deal on AGM batteries at www.colligoengineering.com

110 amp hour Group 31

AGM allow deeper cycling than any other, can discharge to 10.5 volts without damage. Also allow charging at 14.5 volts for faster charge times