Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Islander 36 projects in paradise!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post

and heres the rats nest wiring panel

panel

thats about it

question for the wiring pros...does that breaker above the battery selector act as a main panel switch or is it ac or something...

Looks like the previous owner used a double pole breaker for something but judging by the wire size in the top picture it is not large enough to be a main switch. Trace the wires and see where they go.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 08-11-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

hey guys little update

good news got some wirng to work! also panel is working and charging the battery at a very nice 13.7-14v cabin lights and instruments work(furuno gps, vhf) I also managed to install the fishfinder and the toilet wax worked like a charm inside the bilge to mount the transducer

bad news is we have been back and forth with the guy that hit me and no mulah yet as it will have to go through his insurance...bummer

the other bad news is my trusty SS fabricator isnt capable of doing the radiused bend my pulpit has with the tubing he has...so

IM UP FOR IDEAS ON AN ALTERNATE TYPE OF PULPIT...its the big arch he cant duplicate...he can weld and do certain bends but not one like my old one

so I had a thought:

would making 2 archs or rails on each side and say have a wood bench connecting the 2 sides be a decent option? would be great for the kid to sit on and ride the waves...jajaja

like the arches you see on the sides of masts to tie your rigging and stand on etc...

anywho any help welcomed

christian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2014
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road

Good to hear you got some wiring done! Steps are steps. And wow... I thought my wiring was a rat's nest. I would say the switch above the battery selector should be labeled "fire starter." But it doesn't look like it was put in place as a main switch. The wires running to it are way too light. Could be to run a bilge pump or other accessory. Only way to know is to trace it down. Have fun with THAT.
Old 08-16-2014
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road

And the two arches with bench between sounds pretty cool. When the kid is old enough to take the helm you and the wife could go up and re-enact the iconic scene from Titanic "I'm the king of the world!"
Old 08-16-2014

ja thanks man...forgot about this little update...its been raining a lot down here and money has been real tight...

even though I could go for a sail as is there is still stuff I want to fix before doing so...especially rain water filtering in

obviously having deck hardware get smashed off isnt going to help much...

anywhoo thanks for the feedback

peace

Old 4 Weeks Ago

FINALLY!
Maiden sail, beleive it or not, I never test sailed the boat...so this is redemption for me...screw the no pulpit, or that I still need to do many things to get her going, but as long as I have a depthsounder Im good to go.

some pics:

thanks to all for the help and best wishes...as some of you know Im moving with my family to Georgia and the boat(for now) will stay here, peacefully waiting for us to come back and cruise a bit.

For now well be enjoying the boat as much as we can down here day sailing and sleeping overnight and such...

update on projects:
cabin lights
solar panel installed
water tank flushed and cleaned and pressure water!
garmin echo fishfinder installed with wax toilet for transducer
chain/rope rode for daysailing on a 25lb bruce...
evinrude 3.3 tested but needs a carb cleaning

anywhoo

PEACE

Last edited by christian.hess; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:00 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

btw my foresails suck!

they look like crap, stained and rusted, also this sail in the pic is not even for the boat as its luff is 5 ft short...so its probably something like a 75% so it was painfully slow sailing against the tides, also didnt help to be towing 2 dinghies...

one was for the ride back when the wind died.

Also it was funning anchoring by sail only at the estuary mouth, this is where all the cruisers come into bahia del sol anchorage on the cruisers rally and others...

I really had fun yesterday, had many a beer and relaxed...although getting to know the boat was exhausting while tacking against the current in an 8-10knot breeze.

Need to retune the rigging a bit, my intermediates are a bit loose but the mast is in column, good rake and tune and no vibes while sailing...hope I get to sail here in 20knots plus as that is where these boats shine...

anyways,

peace
mrhoneydew, Group9 and Bob142 like this.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

My Johnson 3.3hp always needed a carb cleaning, until I found another home for it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I like the lines of Islanders. I had a 1977 Islander 32 that had almost the exact same lines as your boat. A lot of days I wish I still had it!

Sounds like you are still making good forward progress!

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 4 Weeks Ago

desert rat is on a distinguished road

Way late, very stupid, funny, and cheap pulpit replacement. Have you ever considered a shopping cart with the bottom cut off? roflol.