Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Islander 36 projects in paradise!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
here we go, some pics

slow progress but hey...
? Slow? Wow, I think I need to hang out with you, that is not what I would call slow! You have a ton of projects going at once, and they all seem to be coming along quite nicely. You will be done in no time. Lots of folks would take years to get where you are!

christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Very nice! Looks like you're making excellent progress.

So, what's the deal with the tabbing? I see how far into the bulkhead it goes; why not also that far on the hull? Sorry, not questioning what you did, I'd just like to understand.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post

So, what's the deal with the tabbing? I see how far into the bulkhead it goes; why not also that far on the hull? Sorry, not questioning what you did, I'd just like to understand.

hmmm I think its more of an optical ilusion...the white paint extends more on the bulkhead than on the hull...but basically its around 8 inches on either side...on both sides of the bulkhead

I used closed celll foam as a gap...on the side of the hull and up top to the deck down below they are screwed back into the cabinetry like stock....

all sides of the bulkhead and surfaces were epoxied 2 times so they are sealed and holes were potted twice too

this epoxy will later be sanded and varnished but I wanted the tabbing to be done so I could start painting the cabinsides and "roof"

that is what we are doing now...sanding and taking off all chopp strand mat leftovers that were left at the factory...sealing up with resin, sanding again and then getting some nice epoxy white paint like the tabbing has

thanks for the cheerup guys...glad you like the work...been having some issues down here lately and well lets just say its tough living down here sometimes but worth it in the end

Im so happy the boat is sort fo coming together

Im a fiddler by nature so I take apart stuff(well my helpers really) too fast, hence all the peripheral projects!

peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 02-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post

I see why you are confused...only the main bulkhead tabbing in the side has been painted, the rest are still bare and will be done when finishing painting the cabin sides...

we still have to sand and fair the cabin sides and finish painting...then it will all look even

I think its a decent job, big roving layered and smaller size roving in areas to create layered strength

this CANT be worse than stock tabbing...or chainplate strength either. all bulkheads just had a couple of tabs here and there, single layer...I think I put a pic a few pages back...basically even he main bulkheads that carry upper and intermediate cap shroudes were just tabbed once to the deck and once to the sides

but this boat design has the bulkheads screwed to glass cabinetry that is permanently bonded to the hull so maybe that was their reasoning

hope to strong or too much tabbing here will be an issue

peace
jimgo likes this.

Old 02-12-2014

Bob142 is on a distinguished road

Excellent job.... And it took me more than a couple of years to find out that "Manana" doesn't mean "tomorrow" it means "Just not today"...

Any storm in a port...
Old 02-12-2014

a couple of years is fast bud! some people never understand what work schedules mean down here...its SOMEDAY

and that is an issue Im having to deal with as we speak

for one beer and the beer life on the coast is hard to overcome...
laziness, yes its hot so people just want to chill
infrastructure, country politics, closed streets, corrupt police, bad traffuc, corruption on a local and national scale, bad people, etc..all play a role in why some things just cant be done in a timely manner

oh natural disasters, bad weather...etc...

and lastly labor isnt as cheap and worst of all not as good as it used to be...so you are left with getting ok work that you have to be constantly on top of...

BUT we are getting there

manana hopefully! ajajajajajajajajaajjaajajajajajajajaja
Bob142 and guitarguy56 like this.

Old 02-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob142 View Post
Excellent job.... And it took me more than a couple of years to find out that "Manana" doesn't mean "tomorrow" it means "Just not today"...

bob your in lund?

my sister lives in VON2GO

lund bc...small world
you might know here, small california blonde named COCO? jajajajajaja

cheers

Old 02-12-2014

Bob142 is on a distinguished road

Of course I do....Nobody fits into Lund...Everybody here mis-fits into Lund...

Any storm in a port...
Old 02-12-2014

you serious? tell her I said hi! thats awesome!

christian

Old 02-18-2014

so pics...at least of my new outboards! hell freakin yeah!

Im so ecstatic

evinrude 3.3 is a classic standard for little dinghies on sailboats and my BIG 15hp johnson seahorse another standard

both in great shape

close up of the 3.3

oh and sorry no pics but STANCHIONS installed, bedded and new backing plates with new bolts! jajaja went all out. Pulpit down too...just need to do pushpit, and then its onto davits and finish the outboard mount.

cheers

ps. also got a nice fishfinder to play with...man went all out for sure! broke the budget!
GMFL and guitarguy56 like this.

Last edited by christian.hess; 02-18-2014 at 07:23 PM.