Islander 36 projects in paradise!!!!! - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 135Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 202 Old 04-25-2014 Thread Starter
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Re: Islander 36 projects in paradise!!!!!

thanks boss

when the time comes Ill see what I can figure out...for now though its white! jajaja

peace

Islander 36 now FOR SALE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 202 Old 04-25-2014

The islander windows use a plastic that the manufacturer recommends using dow 795 for installation, other sealants eat at the plastic.

Interested in what you do for a liner, my Islander 28's is pretty worn out
post #83 of 202 Old 04-25-2014 Thread Starter
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

well for sure there was no dow795 on mine...they had already been done or redone before...

interestingly the lenses are all nice and tight inside the plastic frames so its just a matter of sealing the frames back into the cabins at least for now

well see about the liner or not

I definitely DONT want the original type vynil cover as the zippers all failed and honestly you still couldnt access stuff in order to work on it...Id love to glue some wallpaper ish stuff onto it but I still see that as a lot of work right now

anywhoo

post #84 of 202 Old 05-13-2014 Thread Starter
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

hey some progress! but I need some help guys!

pics first

windows:

they will do for now...I need to go over the actual outer rim to plastic joint as maybe some still leak

they do look much better over white than delaminated ply veneer....thats for sure jaja so Im finally complete cabin wise...
jimgo likes this.

post #85 of 202 Old 05-13-2014 Thread Starter
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

so this is what I need help on:

my main sheet scenario! we took off some damaged hardware on each side of the traveler, it seems this is what Im missing for my mainsheet to go back to the winches Im guessing starboard side under the dodger since I have 3 winches there and 2 on port

this is my "new" main sheet aka washed in the machine with salvadorean downy! I also whipped the ends...the difference in pliabilty and ease of handling is impressive...I recomend this to any one with old rope on their boats btw

see this little sheave, its mounted on this custom wood block...Im trying to guess the angles here but IM ASSUMING it leads back under the dodger to one of the winches

my question is is this only one side...(the blocks of wood are on both side, but they were pretty damaged...

how would you guys run the mainsheet? this is beleive it or not my first mid boom sheeting system! jajaja

this is the hardware I have upfront...the eye should be for the vang as well as 2 sets of sheaves on each side that allow for it to be adjusted under the dodger...

however Im assuming also the po led all lines aft, so they might be simply for the halyards

Im not going thata route I like my halyards at the mast, I also whipped them new again...

any and all help appreciated!

post #86 of 202 Old 05-13-2014 Thread Starter
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

last time out I pseudo polished the stanchions...not too shabby for simple kitchen stainless paste they sell at the hardware store....just with a rag...

thats it for now!

post #87 of 202 Old 05-13-2014 Thread Starter
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

port side winches

and stbd

in this pic I was trying to guess the angle of the mainsheet coming back "using" these blocks on each side of the traveler but Im stumped

maybe Im brain farting here but what other solutions are there here with what I have?

thanks

post #88 of 202 Old 05-14-2014
Asleep at the wheel

Christian, the sheave looks like it might be for the outer-most winch on the starboard side, and I believe that's for the mainsheet. If you look closely at the pictures of this Islander:
1977 Islander 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It looks like they run the mainsheet forward to a block at the base of the boom, then down to one of those spring-loaded blocks in your picture, then out to the sheave in question, then back to the winch.
christian.hess likes this.

- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15

The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (05-14-2014)
post #89 of 202 Old 05-14-2014
Asleep at the wheel

This one shows another way of doing it:
1974 Islander 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

If you look at the 7th picture, just before the interior shots, you'll see how they did it.
christian.hess likes this.

- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15

post #90 of 202 Old 05-14-2014 Thread Starter
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Christian, the sheave looks like it might be for the outer-most winch on the starboard side, and I believe that's for the mainsheet. If you look closely at the pictures of this Islander:
1977 Islander 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It looks like they run the mainsheet forward to a block at the base of the boom, then down to one of those spring-loaded blocks in your picture, then out to the sheave in question, then back to the winch.
thanks man! I have been pondering pics all last night...

it does seem its this way but they go down to the deck...

not to one of the sheaves on the wood block at the end of each side of the traveller

Im brain farting on what those would be for? The good news is it doesnt look like I need them for now!

It looks like the same goes for whatever boom vang I setup, it looks like it goes on port side...down to the deck sheaves and back to the port side winches...

thanks so much man!
jimgo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.