SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Sunbrella: What color is used on your boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/116138-sunbrella-what-color-used-your-boat.html)

captainmurph 01-09-2014 12:27 PM

Sunbrella: What color is used on your boat?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm starting a small marine canvas business to help fund my Great Loop trip and plan on mostly making small Sunbrella accessories like tiller covers, winch covers, propane bags, sheet bags, fender covers, etc.

If you could please take a moment to reply to this poll, I would really appreciate knowing what color Sunbrella is in use on your sailboat. Most everyone has at least a main sail cover (and most of them are, by far, in Pacific Blue) and many of you also have UV covers for roller-furled headsails and some other accessory done up in some color of Sunbrella.

I've attached a graphic that you can open to see what are likely the Top 10 most popular colors?If you can't reply to the poll becasue your color is not shown, maybe you can look at the colors here and post a reply with the name of your color: Other SunbrellaColors

Thanks.

Murph'

SV Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI

swimnfit 01-09-2014 12:37 PM

Re: Sunbrella: What color is used on your boat?

I actually have Sunbrella "Captain Navy"

Minnesail 01-09-2014 12:39 PM

The boat I bought this fall didn't come with any covers. I'm planning on getting a sail cover and a jib bag and I have to decide on a color. I think yellow would look very cheery and bright, yet you never see it used. Is there a reason yellow is a bad choice?

Capt.Alex 01-09-2014 12:48 PM

Forest green bimini, wheat hatch covers

Markwesti 01-09-2014 12:49 PM

For me I like Navy . I have used it twice, first 20yrs. ago and 1yr ago. One of the reasons I like it is because when it fades it still looks ok . Colors that do not fade well are red and green and yellow of coarse this is just my opinion .http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/s...head/001-3.jpg

Alex W 01-09-2014 12:49 PM

Yellow looks great for a couple of years, then it shows a lot of dirt and kind of browns as it fades.

My boat also uses Captain Navy for canvas. Based on walking around my marina this appears to be the second most popular color after Pacific Blue. There is also a dark green (if you look closely it is woven with brown) called Ivy that is quite nice and pretty common.

captainmurph 01-09-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimnfit (Post 1289762)
I actually have Sunbrella "Captain Navy"

Yes, thanks for the reply. That color is: Sunbrella 4646-0000 Captain Navy 46" Marine Grade Fabric

I'l add it to my list.

Murph'

captainmurph 01-09-2014 12:59 PM

That's a nice combo! With all the beautiful colors out there, it is truly a shame that Pacific Blue seems to be som dominant.

captainmurph 01-09-2014 01:04 PM

What a great looking Westsail! I agree that Navy seems to fade less than many other colors. While it is actually kind of counterintuitive, it seems that darker colors are affected less by UV rays than the lighter ones. I've had many other canvas shops tell me that they use White thread in most projects due to customer requess, but find that black thread stands up to UC damage longer.

Murph'

Minnesail 01-09-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex W (Post 1289850)
Yellow looks great for a couple of years, then it shows a lot of dirt and kind of browns as it fades.

Thanks, that's good to know.

How does Sunbrella hold up to a trip through a washing machine? I have a small boat, so the covers won't be that big. It obviously wouldn't help with the fading, but it might get some of the dirt and grime out?