Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-09-2014

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
Question for the trailer sailors

I have decided to keep my 26ft swing keel trailer sailor on the trailer at a marina with a private launch this year instead of at a dock. I will have to launch and recover it each time I go out but wont have to raise and lower the mast unless I want to take it to a different lake. Today I a purchased an electric boat wench to get her back on the trailer by remote control (got a good deal on the floor model). It's rated for 3000 pounds which I think is plenty for my boat. My question is how many people use their wench to raise and lower their mast. There is no system besides brute strength right now But I have been thinking up a system using the trailer wench attached to my forward stay. This would just make me even more mobile. I currently sail exclusively on lake Erie but would like to travel to the finger lakes, or lake Ontario. This would make it muck more possible if I can raise the mast by myself. Looking for any thoughts of suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Question for the trailer sailors-buffalo-20120523-00526-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Question for the trailer sailors

My trailer boat is designed to do exacally this. There is a bracket that slides under the mast and gets pinned into place, then the forestay is attached to the trailer winch via a angle adjustment bar that sticks out the front of the mast.

There are some good videos of it on you tube. Watch the linked vide to see what I am talking about, 10:23 has a good shot of the adjustment bar.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eqsbJn4...%3DeqsbJn475_g
Old 01-09-2014
Singlehander by Default

nighthawk is on a distinguished road

There are so many different systems out there that it is mind-boggling jsut trying to decide. Some use an A-frame and the trailer winch, others use a gin pole, a seperate lifting pole, along with the trailer winch or the halyard winch. Take a trip through youtube or google search and find a sytem you like.

Visit my blog--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~When you decide to become a sailor, you start with a full barrel of luck and an empty cup of experience. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry.~~
Old 01-09-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

That's one hefty Wench. Can i borrow her?

All kidding aside; i think you are on the right track. You should rig an A-frame set up for back up. The places you plan on visiting most likely will have gin poles.

I picked up a 22' last month to do the same thing you plan on doing. I'd like to sail around the Finger Lakes too. America's best kept secret.

Old 01-09-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

You might want to put a limit switch on that power winch ? When you use a hand winch you can feel a problem. It takes time to raise the mast but you get to explore other places
Kind Regards. Lou
Old 01-09-2014

Azzarac is on a distinguished road

I thought about mounting one permanently on the boat but then got to thinking about those times a shroud or stay got hung up on something while raising the mast. You would have no feel for a snag when using an electric winch. By the time you realize there is a problem something expensive has most likely torn loose.

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
Old 01-10-2014

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road

Glad I asked. I remember the last time we raised it something got caught. I just thought the guys I had helping were wimps and tried tugging harder. Didn't notice it until the mast started swinging sideways. So how do I add a limit switch. I bet if I'm watching it go up instead of adding the muscle to the operation I can watch a bit more carefully but a limit switch sounds like good practice.
Old 01-10-2014

H and E is on a distinguished road

For my Catalina 25 with a furler. I use an A frame and the jib sheet winch to raise and lower. Attach the A frame to the forestay and line to winch through a pulley on the bow. Stern crutch is about 6 1/2 feet tall. Works well for me. I copied others with similar system. I always park on level ground into the wind and I normally can raise and lower solo.
Old 01-10-2014
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road

On my Seafarer 22 I install the boom while mast is down and use a line on each chainplate to the outhaul. Take the main halyard and attach to the traveler and use the winch on the mast to lift the mast up.

All sorts of ways to skin a cat, or a sloop for that matter.
Old 01-10-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

There are lots of ways to gain mechanical advantage when raising a mast. Search for "tabernacle" and you should find lots of good ideas.

And by the way, this is a wench...

This is a winch...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.