SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Batten Replacements? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/116169-batten-replacements.html)

ericb760 01-09-2014 03:45 PM

Batten Replacements?

In prepping for this season I'd really like to replace my battens. I have four. Three are fiberglass (two of which have stress fractures) and one appears to be made out of teak? Does anyone know where to get replacements? Or, has anyone ever made replacements yourself? If so, how did you do it?

capt jgwinks 01-09-2014 07:32 PM

Any marine store (West Marine, etc) will have them in stock our to order. In a pinch as emergency replacement, you can cut a hardware store wooden yardstick to length. Back in the old days we always kept a couple on board. They're often free or very cheap.

Faster 01-09-2014 07:37 PM

Re: Batten Replacements?

Sailmakers will have stock too. Depending on your pocket design, battens can be cut to length as required.. racers will generally be pickier about flexibility, taper, etc.

Who can find a wooden yardstick these days??? ;);)

JimsCAL 01-09-2014 08:21 PM

Sailrite has them.

Battens & End Caps ? Sailrite

ericb760 01-09-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 1291833)

Thanks, I'll have to measure mine but the cost looks reasonable. I'm not a fan of West Marine after a friend of mine, a store manager, showed me the mark-ups on everything that they sell.

mitiempo 01-09-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericb760 (Post 1292001)
Thanks, I'll have to measure mine but the cost looks reasonable. I'm not a fan of West Marine after a friend of mine, a store manager, showed me the mark-ups on everything that they sell.

You were expecting them to be non-profit maybe?

ericb760 01-10-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 1292505)
You were expecting them to be non-profit maybe?

Hardly. But when a 5 cent screw costs $1.50 at WM because it's "marine grade", I call foul.

SVTatia 01-10-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericb760 (Post 1290593)
In prepping for this season I'd really like to replace my battens...

Why not just eliminate them?. No roach, no battens, no chafe and you can reef on any point of sail. The sail area/speed you loose is negligible....:D

ericb760 01-10-2014 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVTatia (Post 1294066)
Why not just eliminate them?. No roach, no battens, no chafe and you can reef on any point of sail. The sail area/speed you loose is negligible....:D

Funny you should mention that. I sailed for three months before I realized that I even had battens. Newbie and all. But, I figured that if the sails were made for battens, it would probably make sense to use them. Can you expand on the pros and cons?

fallard 01-10-2014 09:08 PM

Full length battens are costly, but the short battens found in many boats are very affordable. You may not notice the difference as a newbie/non-racer, especially with older, stretched ("blown-out") sails, but battens help keep a smooth trailing edge shape to your sails. This not only provides for better airflow (less turbulence), but also minimizes the flutter in your leech, thereby extending the life of your sail.

The only "cons" I can think of is that they are not free and that you need to assure they are properly captured in the batten pocket.