SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   New Magma ceramic coated nested cookware (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/116193-new-magma-ceramic-coated-nested-cookware.html)

mondofromredondo 01-09-2014 05:21 PM

New Magma ceramic coated nested cookware

All,

I'm not affiliated first of all.
Just recieved their newly released 10 pc ceramic over stainless nestable cookware set. Very heavy / high quality units. Also Ceramic coating vs teflon coating of the older units seems to me to be a large improvement.
I was worried they'd feel cheap and overly light. Instead each piece is heavy and well built. The detachable handles that allow for nesting also are well made. But best of all they all nest together (except the 2 handles) and will store in a remarkably small space. So only need to make fast (1) item which is the entire cook set. So now thats one more thing off my list.

benesailor 01-09-2014 07:46 PM

Re: New Magma ceramic coated nested cookware

A10-366-IND $280.00

That actually looks like it nests well. Is it good quality? I never realized that Magma made cookware. (and the other stuff, stabilzer?)

Alex W 01-09-2014 07:52 PM

I have the 7pc stainless set. It is very high quality, at roughly $100 for the set it is actually a bargain compared to most department store sets.

My only complaint is that I'd prefer a slightly different mix of pots and pans.

The 7 pieces are:
* a roughly 5qt pot
* a roughly 2qt pot
* a high wall frying pan, that is more like a high surface area saucepan
* handle
* two lids
* storage cord

The high sided frying pan isn't that useful of a shape for pancakes or eggs (the two primary things that I fry on the boat) and I could use another saucepan in the 1-2qt size range. A smaller sidewall frying pan would also make the set more compact (that frying pan becomes the lid for the 4qt pan when it is all packed).

I extended mine with a 1.5 liter nesting camping pot from another source and a cast iron frying pan (the hardest item to store in my galley).

benesailor 01-09-2014 08:00 PM

I guess that answered my question about the stainless. I usually don't like the non-stick, just because i find that it doesn't hold up in the long run.

mitiempo 01-09-2014 11:22 PM

The Magma cookware is a great space saver.

But if the ceramic non-stick is like other brands it is nowhere as good as the non-stick used on brands like T-Fal. I have a Henckels ceramic non-stick frying pan and while it is very well made food does stick and it is harder to clean.

I also agree the compromises made to allow stacking do made for odd sizes and shapes.

paulk 01-10-2014 08:48 AM

We race, so our nesting cookware is aluminum from EMS because it's lighter. The Magma grill only comes aboard for cruises.

MikeOReilly 01-10-2014 10:18 AM

We've had our Magma cook set for probably seven or eight years now. I think I bought it when they first came out on the market. Have loved them ever since. They are real SS pots/pans, with heavy aluminium heat disperser bottoms. They store in a small space (nested), and cover most of our cooking needs (two people on board for a month at a time who love to cook).

We have the teflon version. I probably wouldn't buy teflon today, although the non-stick is very handy. In any case, our teflon pots have stood up just fine. Does require that you use plastic or wood utensils, and take minimal effort when stacking them, but our teflon is holding up just fine after all these years.

Anyway, I love the pots. Would definitely purchase again.

Gladrags1 01-11-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeOReilly (Post 1293434)
We have the teflon version. I probably wouldn't buy teflon today, although the non-stick is very handy. In any case, our teflon pots have stood up just fine. Does require that you use plastic or wood utensils, and take minimal effort when stacking them, but our teflon is holding up just fine after all these years.

I am curious, why would you not buy Teflon again?

Tod

MikeOReilly 01-11-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladrags1 (Post 1296378)
I am curious, why would you not buy Teflon again?

Hi Tod. Mainly b/c there are more rugged non-stick options available now. When I bought our set it was teflon or plain SS. I went with the teflon, and as I say, they've held up just fine. They do require a bit more awareness when using them, but I've got no complaints, and have no plans to change our set (and we are about to become full time liveaboards).

Nothing wrong with the teflon as long as you treat them properly.

Multihullgirl 01-11-2014 10:31 AM

another option is the Cuisinart nesting set which you can sometimes find in the used market arena. I like mine.