Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Prepping to re-bed stanchions.

Need to re-bed my stanchions/pushpit as I have been getting some water through the holes. When I take them off, how do I know what, if anything, I need to do to the hole locations before I reinstall them? If the core is wet do I need to see if it will dry out?
Old 01-09-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Prepping to re-bed stanchions.

Is there even core where your stanchions attach? It may be solid fiberglass. I'm unfamiliar with o'day construction.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2014

Yes, there is. According to the hole for my stern light wire it looks like 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood?
Old 01-09-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Here's what I did when I rebedded my stanctions on a boat I had some years ago...
Most boats do have wood cored decks. I took my power drill, put a finishing nail in the chuck with about 1/2" of the nail bent 90 degrees. Put the nail in all the holes and turned on the drill basically opening up the core and not making the holes in both layers of fiberglass any larger. After that, I filled the enlarged holes with epoxy. After that dried, I redrilled the holes. After remounting my stanctions, I knew if any water did leak thru, it would only come in contact with hardened epoxy and never soak into the wood core.
paul323 and christian.hess like this.

Last edited by chuck53; 01-09-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Re-Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

That has the "do it right" solution.

I did the "almost right" solution, which was everything there except for potting the core with epoxy. I feel pretty confident that counterbored holes and good butyl tape will keep the core dry for 20+ years, the previous sealant and counterbored holes did so for the 25 years.
ericb760 likes this.
Old 01-09-2014

Thanks. Is potting the holes necessary or just recommended? I've never worked with epoxy before.
Old 01-09-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
Thanks. Is potting the holes necessary or just recommended? I've never worked with epoxy before.
It is the only way to guarantee that the core doesn't get wet. When core gets wet it doesn't remain in the area of the hole but eventually travels over a wide area. This is more common with plywood core than balsa core as the plies allow a path for the water to travel along the grain. The reason so many boats have wet core issues is because the builders didn't pot the holes properly to begin with. All fittings need re-bedding eventually or water will enter. This is especially true of stanchion bases and chainplates, the items that move the most from loads put on them. Butyl is in my opinion the best bedding compound and my deck has not had issues with water where butyl was used by CS when the boat was built. But my stanchion bases are not in cored areas.

I would definitely suggest potting the holes with epoxy. It is easy as shown in the link above. At the same time it would be a good idea to see if larger backing plates can be added to stiffen the deck in the area of the stanchion bases.
jrd22 likes this.
Old 01-09-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I just got back from doing this for my chainplatye holes(look ate islander 36 project thread) and its easy...its very important to bevel and file the holes and if you can dry out a bit...

I just rebedded my aft lower backing plates...Im doing it in 2 stages, from below and from above...since they have those funny metal cover plates....

in any case I potted the main chainplate holes and bulkhead holes...not the aft lowers since they are easily serviced so I plan to check them every 6 months or so...

cheers

ps. you can also brush on thickened epoxy,,,you dont have to completeley seal the hole and redrill...just a swipe to seal off the wood...the lightly file away

redrilling same size holes never works out...always go big, pot then drill exact size

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 01-10-2014

pauloman is on a distinguished road

good advise above but use an epoxy that can bond to posible damp surfaces and is reinforced with fiber/kelvar etc. for strength. Google/Bing Wet Dry 700 epoxy

note that you can insert greased screws/bolts into wet epoxy. When the epoxy cures you can un-screw the bolts and have a threaded/tapped hole.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 01-10-2014
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

A cordless Dremel with a little cutter bit (#115) to clear out a few millimeters of core all around inside each hole before filling with thickened epoxy has worked well for me. And if it's wet in there and has soaked into the wood, I wouldn't count on significant drying taking place really.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright