Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-12-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Low friction rings for single-line reefing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I have never seen a single line reefing system which actually worked very well. There tends to be a lot of friction, much higher line loads, and an absurd amount of line to haul. I have actually removed single line reefing from a couple of my boats after not being able to get decent sail shape when reefed and not being able to get a reef in quickly enough.

Jeff
Jeff, I use single line reefing since almost it appeared as an option on new boats more than 12 years ago. They evolved a lot in what regards the force needed and efficiency but I agree that two lines, or the old system whih only a line work better.

One of the biggest advantages of modern rigs is the ability to reef without going out of the cockpit and that translates in a much safer sailing specially in small boats (less than 50ft) and difficult weather. You can do it from the cockpit with two lines for each reef but that would translate in 6 blocks on the mast and 6 blockers on the cockpit and a huge number of lines. That is not practical.

Regarding sail shape, after many years of use I think the trick is to control the reefing lines with the high of the boom (trough a top lifting), I mean having the boom high when you reef and then putting him on the normal position given shape to the sail.

Also in what regards friction there has been a big evolution and on my actual boat you can reef by hand only using the winch to the last adjustment and not always needed.

Of course, if you sail with a crew you can always use the old system and go forward to pull down the sail till the reefing point and hook it while someone is letting it down and then have a single line to adjust the back of the sail, but for that you need a crew and have to leave the cockpit.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Low friction rings for single-line reefing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
I want to rig my main with single-line reefing for the first two reefing points.
My original thought was to put blocks on the sail at the reefing cringles. I wasn't to keen on the weight or aesthetics of that but I wanted to reduce the friction as much as possible.
I don't know the size of your boat. If not bigger than 36ft Goiot has this net solution:

If bigger and that is my case, I don't think it will work. I needed several blocks for a 12mm line (for the sail) and that Goiot system is too small. In the Dusseldorf boat show I went searching for a light small one and I get lucky. After passing for some very nice but incredibly expensive light blocks with a textile connection (225 euros each) I found out a manufacturer that makes a block not very different in size from this:

and for up to 12mm line with a textile connection. I am going to command three directly from the guy that was on the boat show (manufacturer). The price was 80 euros each but he said he could do a better price. If you are interested pm me and I will send you the contact.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook