Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Low friction rings for single-line reefing

I want to rig my main with single-line reefing for the first two reefing points.
My original thought was to put blocks on the sail at the reefing cringles. I wasn't to keen on the weight or aesthetics of that but I wanted to reduce the friction as much as possible.
These low-friction rings look as though they might do the trick:

Does anyone have experience with them? Would I see a noticeable difference between using these rings or just passing my reefing lines through the reefing cringles - these aren't grommets: they are stainless rings on either side of the sail?
Thanks in advance
christian.hess likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Low friction rings for single-line reefing

I have never seen a single line reefing system which actually worked very well. There tends to be a lot of friction, much higher line loads, and an absurd amount of line to haul. I have actually removed single line reefing from a couple of my boats after not being able to get decent sail shape when reefed and not being able to get a reef in quickly enough.

But if you have your heart set on single line reefing, then I would strongly suggest that you look at ways to reduce friction. While those rings are supposed to offer a lower friction than simple stainless steel rings, I would suggest that you would do better using small low friction blocks instead. I would also suggest using small diameter high modulus line, or the core of a high modulus line with its cover removed to further reduce friction.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
flyingwelshman (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I have never seen a single line reefing system which actually worked very well. There tends to be a lot of friction, much higher line loads, and an absurd amount of line to haul. I have actually removed single line reefing from a couple of my boats after not being able to get decent sail shape when reefed and not being able to get a reef in quickly enough.
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have my heart set on the single-line system per se, it's just that I intend to single-hand a lot and would prefer to not have to leave the cockpit especially in conditions that would call for reefing. I thought that the single-line system would be 'safest' in that regard. Two lines would, I think, present the same challenges regarding sail shape and would require additional clutches.

The other alternative would be to have a line on the leach and hook the luff cringle onto the hook. This is how I have been reefing up to now, and, although a good sail shape can be achieved, there have been some interesting moments up at the mast.

I will be installing a stack-away (stack-pack) with lazy jacks this year (up to now I don't have lazy jacks) so this would eliminate the need to go on deck to tie down the sail when reefed.
christian.hess likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 01-10-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

You could run both tack and clew reef lines aft individually, that would allow reefing from the cockpit but avoid the overly long single line ple of rope. That costs more in clutched, stoppers etc, but it's another idea...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
You could run both tack and clew reef lines aft individually, that would allow reefing from the cockpit but avoid the overly long single line ple of rope. That costs more in clutched, stoppers etc, but it's another idea...
I agree, but I think you would still have the challenge of sail-shape that Jeff mentioned.

Old 01-10-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
I agree, but I think you would still have the challenge of sail-shape that Jeff mentioned.
Actually, I think that's what Jeff H uses, you can individually adjust tack and clew and it should work just fine. I think Jeff's beef (on sail shape/settings) was not with the friction so much as the common tension on both tack and clew.
Jeff_H likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
flyingwelshman (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

my boat came with hooks....into cringles on the main...there is a high tech line used to a small very small winch almost all the way forward towards the gooseneck

im eager to try it out as its a similar thought process to what the op is suggesting if I dont like it Ill have to try something else out...

my boat also has lazy jacks...never have been a fan but what are the pros? im used to very simpe less lines mains...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-10-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Ron (Faster) is right. I use a two line reefing system for each reef. I have one line that is tied at the gooseneck, runs vertically up to the luff reef cringle and then back down to a turning block at the deck and then back to the cockpit. There is a second line which is tied around the boom, runs up through the leech reef cringle and then back aft to a turning block at the boom end, inside the boom to a block near the gooseneck then back down to a turning block at the deck and then back to the cockpit.

On a boat like the Hunter 30 you should be able to use a simple cam cleat for the luff line since you tension the luff with the halyard and its winch. The leech will probably require a stopper and be led to a winch.

This allows the luff to be tensioned independently of the foot of the sail. The luff line has almost no load on it when it is pulled in so it happens very quickly. The leech has a lot of load and requires some grinding, but there is a lot less line and friction involved.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 01-10-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

I suggest you read this article on "low friction" Low Friction Rings

I have used low friction rings in a cascade for my cunningham but I don't think that it is a good choice for a single line reef setup.

I have two line reef setup for all three reefs (Will only have reef three ready for use when we plan longer offshore crossings).

Two line reef works fine.
-Good control of sail shape
-Less rope in cockpit

My tack reef line is tied to the reef cringle, go through a block at the mast down to a turning block at deck level - no mechanical advantage.
Back to the winch/clutch.
Don't use much force to pull down the tack reef line (a better name anyone)

Here you can see
Tack reef line (Green&White) going through the block (This block ensures a good angle for the reef line)
Cunningham with the low friction rings

The clew reef line go from the boom down to turning block at mast base.

Last edited by knuterikt; 01-10-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added picture with comments
Old 01-10-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I use single line reefing on my Pearson 28-2. I have an Antal low friction ring at the tack. The system works well for me.

My reefing line is Amsteel, which is a lot more slippery than a double braid. It is also smaller and lighter for what that is worth. I think that the Amsteel reefing line made a bigger difference than the Antal ring, but both helped.

I used to run it through both cringles, but added the Antal ring to the tack cringle last year. I made a "dogbone" that has a stainless ring on one side of the cringle and the Antal ring on the other side. The Antal ring noticably reduced friction compared to running the reefing line through the cringle. Running the reefing line up and down on one side of the sail avoids crushing the sail against then boom when it is reefed. This was causing noticeable chafe on my main.

If I know that I am going to reef at the dock I can use the reefing hook and use the reefing line only for the clew.

My boat has a fairly small ~175sqft main sail. I can see why two line reefing might work better on a larger main sail as the loads go up.

Here is an image of the ring in use:

I don't like how this setup is trying to pull the padeye out of the mast, or that the line slides through there. I keep meaning to experiment with an alternative routing at that point.

Last edited by Alex W; 01-10-2014 at 10:41 AM.