Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014

flo617 is on a distinguished road
sail quote

Hello.

I got a quote for a main from FX. I also got one from Doyle whose offices are right in my marina.

Now the price difference was more than 60% for the same quoted fabric! (Challenge 7.03 Dacron). I want the convenience of a very local loft but does it make sense?

Thanks,

Florent
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: sail quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo617 View Post
Hello.

I got a quote for a main from FX. I also got one from Doyle whose offices are right in my marina.

Now the price difference was more than 60% for the same quoted fabric! (Challenge 7.03 Dacron). I want the convenience of a very local loft but does it make sense?

Thanks,

Florent
60% difference seems a lot, maybe there are some differences that is not clear in the offers.
- How many reef's is included?
- How are reinforcements made?
- Shipping included?
- Other differences between the two offers?

I would contact both contenders and ask for more details.
I would have asked the most expensive why he is 60% off (you don't need to reveal the name of the competitor)

Last edited by knuterikt; 01-10-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2014

DrB will become famous soon enough
FX is usually not as inexpensive as one is led to believe

I have got online quotes from FX for both my main and genoa. In both cases, they were within $100 from the local shop prices.

When you fill out the online FX form, the price you get is just for a basic sail at a specific size with basic stitches. Once you start adding stuff like headboards, leech lines, UV cover for RF headsails, slugs, foam luff, triple stitching etc., the price increases considerably. I just went online and did a FX sail quote for my boat, 135% Genoa. Once I added UV cover, foam luff, price went from $1650 to $2220.

The other thing is that a local guys should come out and measure the rig for the dimensions. If they make the sail wrong, if they are stand up, they will fix it. I am not sure with the FX folks will. The FX guys have standard templates on a variety of boats, which may or may not be the best dimensions for your boat and rely on you for the measurements.

DrB
knuterikt likes this.
Old 01-10-2014

swimnfit is on a distinguished road

I've known a couple people that got the FX sails and, while not dissatisfied, they have also not been completely overjoyed.

When it was time for my new sails I considered FX. I decicided to go with a local loft even though it was slightly more expensive. Why?

1. I know that for the most part my $$$ went to a local company that helped to keep American Jobs in America! (as opposed to outsourcing labor and material to China)
2. The folks at my local loft (Ullman) came and measured. They had made a mistake and immediately rectified the problem within a week... no questions asked.

My vote is to stay local! You will feel much better for it later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“A wet sheet and a flowing sea, / A wind that follows fast / And fills the white and rustling sail / And bends the gallant mast.”
Old 01-10-2014
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

This same subject has been debated endlessly here in many threads. If you want a racing sail designed for your boat, go local. If you want the same fabric and quality in a cruising sail it is available from some very reputable sail makers (Rolly Tasker, Lee, etc). It's not unusual for local lofts to be 50% higher for the convenience of having them make a few measurements and to install the sail. For the normal cruiser you can't go wrong contacting Dirk at National Sail in Fl. (Rolly T), or Lee Sails, IMHO.
StormBay and christian.hess like this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-10-2014

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

I was going to post something witty to fan the flames of this seldom debated topic, but I won't.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Old 01-10-2014
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Re: FX is usually not as inexpensive as one is led to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
I have got online quotes from FX for both my main and genoa. In both cases, they were within $100 from the local shop prices.
DrB
Same experience here. Make sure you're getting quotes for the same options at both lofts. Apples to apples and all that.

I happen to have a local quantum loft, and have been very pleased. Sailmaker has measured the boat 3 times and sailed with me twice over the past 5 sail purchases. Also, you can ask for another 10% off. Typically you can get 10% off retail whenever. Then in the off season or multiple sail purchases, you can get 15-20% off retail. Sailmakers should be begging for your business. If you don't get that impression, go somewhere else.

I'd give the local guy a chance to justify his price before writting them off.
Old 01-10-2014

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

My new 110% genoa is currently being designed by my local sailmaker and will shortly be getting cut, sewn, fitted, tweaked and supported by my local sailmaker. It's almost certainly going to be better made and longer lasting, and as importantly to me, I am putting money into my local economy and helping to ensure that hopefully in the future I actually still have someone local that can look after my sails.
Is it more expensive? Yes, a bit, but I don't think you can ever truly compare since the intangibles are impossible to measure (quality of stitching, finish etc).

Old 01-11-2014

Meriachee is on a distinguished road

While I agree with Paul about the "local" aspect of the discussion, being 800 miles away from the left coast has it's disadvantages. That said, I have a very large kite, and a drifter from Dirk, who has just about the best service I've ever seen, and I also have a plastic 155 from FX, which was precisely as advertised, and will in a few weeks have a main to match. Neither loft is remotely close, but both come highly recommended, particularly in a land where most folk have a hard time distinguishing between a sailboat and a garden tractor.
jrd22 likes this.
Old 01-11-2014

Dog8It is on a distinguished road

Not so sure that going local is better. I went with a local loft a few years back when ordering a new main and genoa. Genoa: ordered 150, got 135. The loft did not notice it until I brought it to their attention. "No problem" they said and they did make a new sail, correct size and all. However, it did leave a question in my mind about their attention to detail. And they did install the sail. How they could not have noticed the difference, I have no idea. Main: was a little bit better, though there were issues with the cut and when I brought it up they just blamed it on my Dutchman flaking system setup. It sure was not a problem with the previous mainsail. Needless to say in the future I will give the online lofts a try because local shops seem to take their customers for granted and the quality is simply not there.
Just my two cents

Doolittle

Com-Pac 35

Qui craint le danger ne doit pas aller en mer.
He who fears danger should not go to sea.
(French proverb)

Tags
loft , sail