Old 05-12-2005

Neicy is on a distinguished road
Raw water cooled engines

Would a having a 13HP Volvo Penta Deisel
2CYL raw water cooled engine keep you from
purchasing a 1977 Dufour that is otherwise
in pretty good condition. Have been told
due to cast iron head, it is probably rusted
(rotted out) and would need to be replaced.
Anyone with knowledge regarding this or previous experience, please reply.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2005

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Raw water cooled engines

You are clearly talking about the MD7A Volvo engine, which was in my 1980 boat when I bought it in the fall of 2003. It failed almost immediately, and resisted all efforts to repair it. I have since re-powered with a Yanmar. The rest of my boat is in excellent shape, so I now have a nearly new boat that I have a total of $29000 invested in, so it has worked out. But if you don''t have the budget to re-power, I would stay away from that Volvo, even if it is well cared for.
Old 05-12-2005

Raw water cooled engines

drynoc:
Your are correct. Same model. This boat is 31'' Dufour, asking 21,900. I have negotiated
at $17,500. The survey is scheduled for the 18th. I have gotten an estimate to repower with a new 20HP Volvo, $6500 including labor.
Why did you choose the Yanmar and how much
HP did you get. I feel like the price on the boat is good and if the survey is clean I could afford to repower if the boat price
is as good as I think. I have been unable to get very much price info on the 77-31'' dufour.
Old 05-12-2005

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Raw water cooled engines

I bought a boat in 1992 with a Volvo MD2B 28hp diesel (a 1970 engine). It looked like a ball of rust. I took the time to figure the engine out, clean it, determine it might function, strip it down to the crankshaft, bag each part in ziplock bags and name it, taking photos all the time, have new tips put on the injectors, replace bearings, rings, valve springs, valve guides, etc. Then I painted it. It runs like new to this day. Most knowledgable mechanics will tell you that Volvo has among the most dependable, easy to repair small diesels going. I did this entire rebuild myself, from the crankshaft all the way up through (except the injector tips, honing and spring replacement -need a machine shop). There''s a guy . . . "Never Monday" that frequents the discussion board www.renegade-cruisers.com that has, I think for sale in the "Chandlery" several Volvos for parts. Thing is, I know this Volvo of mine one end to the other now. Would I like a new Yanmar? Sure! Would it last 35 years like the Volvo? ABSOLUTELY NOT. It won''t do 1/3 of that.
Old 05-12-2005

Raw water cooled engines

Thanks for input, I''m feeling better. I sure
like the boat if survey is good. I had gotten
some negative info this week on the raw-water
volvo that made me think I might need to keep
looking. Appreciate your experience.
Old 05-13-2005

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Raw water cooled engines

VIEXILE taught himself to do a lot of things (including rigging, I note - kudos to him), but you have to ask yourself if you have the time and skills to do all the work he did. I believe I could do it, but I don''t want to right now. It would certainly take a while, because I would be learning from scratch.

I believe the Yanmar will last just as long. On that subject, who did you get to quote you a price on a 20 hp of only $6500, including labor? I paid $6298 for the 13 hp Yanmar alone, and did the installation myself. I hope you are right, but I have to be skeptical about that price including installation.
Old 05-13-2005

dkory is on a distinguished road
Raw water cooled engines

Old 05-13-2005

dkory is on a distinguished road
Raw water cooled engines

I agree with replacing with a Yanmar, as I have on our charter-fleet DuFour. I think your price quote is about right, as the labor is the expensive part. Drynoc got robbed on his engine- it shouldn''t cost nearly that much unless you are in a remote area with only one dealer.
I did my own install, which was surprisingly easy. The hardest part was getting the engine mounts aligned. The rest of the engine is literally plug and play. And most people don''t plan on keeping aboat for 35 years anyway, so 10 years of heavy use and no worries is great.
Old 05-14-2005

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Raw water cooled engines

Know thy engine, whatever it be. Water pumps, injector racks, valve adjustment, shaft alignment, alternator wiring, charging system, etc. The four cycle diesels outlast the two cycle diesels by decades. Thing is, you get a rebuild, the engine shits out the next day maybe. OR, you get a rebuild, the engine runs forever. Persnickety things. The Yanmars don''t last if heavily used and pushed. Again, would I want one? Of course. I''ve looked at boats and given ones with a new 4JHTE or whatever the higher rating. That''s because I don''t use the engine much, and the boat had a 4 cycle genset for charging and house use. The Yanmars are quieter and cleaner than most others. On day for day use, they don''t last as long. That''s all.
Old 05-14-2005

Raw water cooled engines

Correction. $6500 was for a 20HP Volvo including labor. Dealer said this particular model would exchange out with little other changes, however makes you wonder. Estimate from local Volvo marine dealer. I would definately get in writing.