Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014

Reefpoints is on a distinguished road
Can a swaged fitting be removed, wire re-used?

Hi all, I've got another dumb question: Is it possible to remove the lower swaged fitting from a forestay (diy or by a rigger) without damaging the wire it is holding?

If so, can another swaged fitting be installed over that same (previously swaged) wire?

The reason I ask is that I have my mast down for the first time. I have looked over all my standing rigging and everything looks to be in good shape. However, I can't see the forestay inside the furling foil and it can't be removed without removing one of the end fittings. I would like the swaged fitting removed so that I can inspect and clean the wire.

(Also I would like to shorten it 3/4" so that I can apply more tension at the furling gear - Harken Mk I. )

Fitting below next to tape measure if that helps any..
christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2014

desert rat is on a distinguished road
Re: Can a swaged fitting be removed, wire re-used?

Don't. It MIGHT work but if it slips what happens to the mast?
Old 01-13-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

It cannot be done the way you want to do it.

It can be done by cutting the wire at the top of the swage but the wire will be shorter by approximately 2" or whatever the length of the swage is.

I would have thought that at least one end of a forestay with a furler would have a mechanical fitting instead of a swage - Norseman, Sta-Lok or Hi Mod.
jimgo and christian.hess like this.
Old 01-13-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Mitiempo-

Those rigging fittings are (relatively) new developments in standing rigging. There are a lot of people still sailing on old wire that pre-dates those.

Not to mention, they are expensive and some people will simply pay to have a swage installed and use link plates and turnbuckles to achieve the desired length.

To the OP:
Can you re-use the wire? I have mixed feelings on this.

On one hand, it is very difficult to adequately inspect the wire for internal corrosion or fatigue. You can inspect for obvious damage like broken strands though.

On the other hand, the lower swage is often the one that gets all the corrosion and damage because it's at deck-level where it gets physically struck the most, and water runs down the wire, into/onto the swage.
Water runs down, AWAY from the upper swage on the mast.
So theoretically, if you cut off the lower swage and put on a Hi-Mod fitting, you should be ok.

The thing I hate about standing rigging and fittings, is that it takes dye and x-rays to properly inspect it, something most people won't bother with or don't have access to. When it fails, there is almost never any warning. Just "BAM!" and the mast comes down.

Re-using wire is kind of like putting used brake pads on your car. You could get away with it, but it's not really smart.

I'll add one caveat- If the wire is new-ish, and you're just making some kind of equipment change, and you know the history of the wire and fittings, it's probably safe.
Faster and boatpoker like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-13-2014

Thank you all for the input; that's kind of what I was expecting. I'll look to see if I can find a mechanical fitting that is longer than my current swaged one (to make up for the cut length).

If I can't find one I may just have to trust that the forestay is good since the rest of it looks to be in very good shape.
Old 01-13-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpoints View Post
Thank you all for the input; that's kind of what I was expecting. I'll look to see if I can find a mechanical fitting that is longer than my current swaged one (to make up for the cut length).

If I can't find one I may just have to trust that the forestay is good since the rest of it looks to be in very good shape.
get a norseman or similar LONG STUD that way you make up length and have a better terminal

make sure you know what lay you have

i can load up some pics as i just did this yesterday

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

if you just want to shorten then just add a mechanical terminal...the sta loks are thinner than norsemans so they will not interfere with your furler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
get a norseman or similar LONG STUD that way you make up length and have a better terminal

make sure you know what lay you have

i can load up some pics as i just did this yesterday

Pics would be great to help me decide if this is diy job or more fit for rigger.

Where did you buy your mechanical fitting from?
Old 01-13-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

my internet is slow...but Ill load them for you no prob

best prices and awesome service is riggingonly.com...you speak to real riggers and owners

I had it forwarded to me in el salvador...just did 2 intermediate stays for my islander 36 yesterday

you just need a bolt cutter or a grinder to cut the wire...everything else is as DIY an easy as you ca imagine

here ya go:

6mm stud for 1/4 inch wire...I had weird 7/16ths pins at the chainplate, I would of like half inch better but no probs

this is the terminal almost completely torqued down...

notice red loctite color around last threads

I sealed them up with sikaflex, the more the better as it will push up into the wire and prevent water intrusion which according to norseman and most riggers will deterriorate lifespan by as much as 30 percent or so

cheers

Last edited by christian.hess; 01-13-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

another pic showing how the threads should form over the cone...this is perfect...I filed the sharp edges if the strands too as they can get caught in the stud...so the smother and tighter everything is the better

norseman says to preform the wires as tightly as you can assemble terminal(I use loctite each time) and go 2 or 3 turns...is resistance is small you are good...and can go all the way or almost all the way

the you unthread check wire end(like this pic shows) and seal with your favouriite non corrosive sealant

then you tighten down if right hand lay wire you just turn the stud not the base...

and go all the way with AMPLE loctite or similar in the threads...sealant will ooze out of cone and wire and cleanup as you go

with stainless threads its imperative to never ever go all the way at once...you must inch your way slowly that way excess heat will not gall threads

cheers and good luck

ps. Ill be doing my upper stays but simply reusing the wire and terminal...I bought new cones from rigging only and since the wire is hefty and still good it will just be new cones and sealant...Ill lose maybe an inch length but my turnbuckles allow for that

christian
Brewgyver likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.