SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Should transmission be in gear when sailing? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/11677-should-transmission-gear-when-sailing.html)

wmrasmussen 05-19-2005 03:52 PM

Should transmission be in gear when sailing?

Should the transmission be in gear or in neutral when sailing. I have received conflicting advice. In neutral reduces drag but causes output gear(s) to rotate, reducing transmission life.

Irwin32 05-19-2005 05:39 PM

I leave mine in gear because i can hear the shaft rotating when in nuetral. Moving parts cause wear on whatever bearing surface is involved. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Racers w/o a folding prop should mark their shaft so the prop is causing the least drag and lock the shaft there.

I am wondering why one would want the prop to free wheel and would be interested to hear arguments for this in light of movemnent = wear.

GordMay 05-20-2005 03:41 AM

Good discussion here:
http://cruisersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1150&highlight= in+gear

hamiam 05-21-2005 07:01 PM

the manufacturer of your engine will have a definitive answer for you.

kimberlt 05-22-2005 05:02 AM

what engine-prop do you have?
fair winds,
eric

PCP 05-22-2005 01:03 PM

If you have a Volvo Saildrive, put the gear in reverse.

dman 05-22-2005 05:43 PM

Good advice Paulo.If you do not know that, you better do some reading up on your particular transmission because it can lead to serious damage ,besides that, there are probably other things you will learn in the process that you are neglecting or have overlooked.The worst thing you can do is take anything you heard from someone down at the dock as fact(learn all you can about your equipment).These posts should get you thinking,then do your investigating.

KenD 05-24-2005 05:12 PM

I''am not Totally sure but I went to a Yammar class and they suggest putting the trans in reverse because, the rear output bearing is not lubed unless the motor is running and the trans in gear, putting the trans in reverse while really sailing keeps the shaft from turning and therefore prevents the bearing from rotating unlubed.Thus saving you Big bucks by not having to overhaul the transmission.

hamiam 05-25-2005 12:54 PM

ive had 2 boats with yanmars; both manuals suggested putting it in reverse. not sure the reason for this. certainly stops the shaft from turning so may be good for both the engine and for boat speed.

sdsailor99 05-29-2005 10:26 PM

Folks,
The reason to put the saildrive - or any prop for that matter, in gear is to reduce drag. It is more significant with a folding prop, but a spinning prop creates considerable drag compared to a rottating one. There may be some issues on bearing wear on long sails, but this is secondary.
Non-geared (Martec type)folding props must be set so they are generally horizontal before locking them in gear so the water pressure closes the blades. Do this by putting the transmission in gear with the engine stopped and then turning the shaft to a preset mark.
Many saildrives have geared folding props that force the two blades to the same opening position so they close under sail regardless of the rotation. However they will continue to rotate unless put in gear.
Even fixed blade props have less drag when stopped.
Just think of a helicoper autorotating (freewheeeling with no engine) vs one with the rotors stopped. I assure you the latter will fall much faster (less drag.)
I think people put transmissions in reverse because the thottle lever is less in the way.