Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-01-2005

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road
Cellphone Masthead Antennas

I am trying to find out what might be the best (or, most reasonable for my wallet) cellphone masthead antenna and cable setup for me to install. I also hope to use it for internet access.

If anyone has had good experience with this, I''d appreciate some help. I am also a bit confused about the ''high tech'' stiff cable and what connectors to use as well as where to find them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2005

Jonathan316 is on a distinguished road
Cellphone Masthead Antennas

Depends on your distance from the tower. In many cases it will be about as effective to mount a cell antenna on the stern rail as to put it atop the mast, and a heck of a lot cheaper, and portable. We use a small magnetic base antenna from alternativewireless.com which can make a large difference at times.

You also can use a amplifier/booster from Wilson Cellular. But have to watch your distance between the antenna and the booster, that they are very network specific, and they suck amps.

If you''re needing them for reception they need to be turned on all the time. If you are using it for intentional internet access then its like eating amps for 2 laptops to get one on the net.

Try a small, passive auto antenna first and save yourself a few hundred bucks. All depends on your network and their tower availability in your sailing area. Call your network provider''s store closet to your sailing area and ask them to tell you where are their towers are. Booster or not, if they have no towers in your sailing area you are SOL.

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook