Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Unweighting the keel during repairs

Our Albin Ballad is sitting on the hard for three or four years, undergoing an extensive top-to-bottom refit. Among the tasks are removal and retabbing of the major bulkheads, pulling up & re-bedding the cabin sole, and a bit of structural glassing near the mast step strut and the aft end of the keel/hull transition, where some sloppy repairs indicate a past grounding. (Here I ought to mention the Ballad has an integral fin keel, lead ballast in bottom 30".) All interior furniture is getting rebuilt, too.

Anyhoo, the boat sits on its keel with plenty wooden shoring and some tiedowns to resist Wyoming winds. As commonly happens, boat sitting on keel rather than keel hanging from boat creates a bit of a hump in the cabin sole & some minor distortion in the hull shape versus same boat in watery mode.

Should I take steps to unload the keel before fitting the replacement bulkheads and re-glassing the keel areas? If so, how best to simulate the hull's natural shape? Slings? Cradle? One of our tasks will be adding a couple floor stringers athwart the keel sump, & I'd hate to build distortion into the repair due to the upward thrust of the keel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Unweighting the keel during repairs

Had the same issue for my stringer rebuild a while back.. finally determined the only/best way for me to feel 'right' about it was to have the boat afloat.

If the boat is flexible enough to 'hog' over the keel then if the hull is wholly supported on stands the keel may 'sag' the middle portion. It's always tough to know that you've actually got the proper shape when sitting on the hard.

This does raise some caution flags if the water is especially cold and condensation might form to interfere with the bond.. so far it seems I've gotten away with it.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-16-2014
baDumbumbum

Good points, Faster. Alas, the nearest likely body of water is 1000 miles from us. I could build a big tank & float the boat in the back yard. Girlfriend has been pining for a swimming pool....

There isn't any appreciable hogging, or distortion fore-and-aft, ala the 'Catalina Smile' in reverse. Rather, the cabin sole humps up slightly between the settees, side-to-side. The hull-to-keel transition is 1" of solid glass; I'm not worried about strength. But the bilge turn is seeing roughly a 7300# difference from tension (afloat) to compression (a-hard). I wonder if we could alleviate maybe 2000# of the hull's 3800# via jacks or slings or cradles, whether that would get rid of most of the hump?
Old 01-16-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I guess I'd try jacking the hull up until the 'hump' in the cabin sole goes away and hope for the best??

My worry would be that you 'lock in' a false form with your repairs/structure, which would immediately be 'stressed' when the boat's lifted and launched - perhaps to point of cracking then and there.. could be an anxious moment.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-16-2014
baDumbumbum

That's exactly my worry if we do the repairs with the keel pushing upwards. While it will be hard to reproduce floating form perfectly via slings or cradles, just approximating normal keel dangle has to be better than what we have now, when perhaps half the total boat weight is concentrated on the keel/hull transition zone.

Dunno if jacks between keel sump and deck underside would help any?

One possibility would be to weld up a gantry just aft of the companionway out of some 4" Sched40 and an I-beam across the top. I kinda want to pull the Penta MD6 out of this beast anyhow, and that would be a useful way to lift it in and out. Fat lifting sling and two chain hoists to the corners would unweight most of the keel; a second gantry at forward lifting points could do the whole boat. Would also make it easy to lift it onto a transport trailer when the time comes to move it; unloading that sucker with a 20,000# forklift was not a stress-free day.
Faster likes this.
Old 01-16-2014

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

If you were clever you could probably figure out the total weight of the boat in the water, and then raise the hull on land until the boat weighed the same which would in theory be at least pretty close to the force on the hull from the keel.
That makes sense in my mind, but likely not once I hit the Post Quick Reply button

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Consider that when the boat was built, the keel was NOT pulling down on the hull. The hull was laid up, finished, and then the keel bolted on or dropped in. Or, the keep was attached at some point during the build, and the boat then sat on it.

So I'd suggest generous jackstands or cribbing, until you feel the whole alignment is "natural" and then expect that yes, it will change when the boat is floated. As it did when built.

It's an imperfect world.
Old 01-17-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

bobmcgov

My suggestion is that you get in touch with Peter Jacobs. He has this blog:
........ Mostly About Boats
that covers a recent complete restoration of a Ballad in his driveway from an abandoned wreck in a field to an as new boat. He not only knows the Ballad very well but is a retired engineer. He previously had a Vega which he did a large amount of exceptional work on. I actually talked to him today in the marine store I work at. He is easygoing and approachable.
There is a link here to his email just below his picture: https://www.blogger.com/profile/06549321574020928322
Faster likes this.
Old 01-17-2014
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Bob,

Did the distortion only happen after you pulled out the bulkheads? Any boat oughtta be engineered to sit happily on its keel without bending, but bulkheads and stringers (and settees and other cabinetry) may be a big part of giving the glass "skin" that strength.

If you're using the old bulkheads as templates, can you just adjust the jackstands till it's "right," i.e. the new bulkheads fit? Barring that, I think your theory about unloading some of the weight and seeing if the glass flexes back to natural is the way to go.

My only similar experience is, the trailer bunks put big creases in the (thin and floppy) aft quarter skin of my friend's Siren 17 this summer, after trying to haul her out with a load of water in the bilges (no we didn't know the water was there!). Bad enough to break the tabbing to the bunks that run aft under the cockpit and form the only internal bracing. After I patched the leak that let the water in and splashed her, the glass relaxed back to "true".
Old 01-17-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
Our Albin Ballad is sitting on the hard for three or four years, undergoing an extensive top-to-bottom refit. Among the tasks are removal and retabbing of the major bulkheads, pulling up & re-bedding the cabin sole, and a bit of structural glassing near the mast step strut and the aft end of the keel/hull transition, where some sloppy repairs indicate a past grounding. (Here I ought to mention the Ballad has an integral fin keel, lead ballast in bottom 30".) All interior furniture is getting rebuilt, too.

Anyhoo, the boat sits on its keel with plenty wooden shoring and some tie downs to resist Wyoming winds. As commonly happens, boat sitting on keel rather than keel hanging from boat creates a bit of a hump in the cabin sole & some minor distortion in the hull shape versus same boat in watery mode.

Should I take steps to unload the keel before fitting the replacement bulkheads and re-glassing the keel areas? If so, how best to simulate the hull's natural shape? Slings? Cradle? One of our tasks will be adding a couple floor stringers athwart the keel sump, & I'd hate to build distortion into the repair due to the upward thrust of the keel.
I would assume the sagging took 3 or 4 years to get to where it is now. And it will have to be a slow process to undo. If the sag can determine and measured how far it is sagging by measuring the hump inside. Maybe a straight edge across the settees then measure down to the top of the hump. This will get you in the ball park as to how much you need to evenly lift the hull. I would lift the hull in small increments, like 1/4" at a time. You may need to add additional supports, like twice you have now, on the hull to lift so there is no damage or distorting of the hull with the lifting. 1/4" even lift and let it rest for a month or so, then lift it another 1/4" and let sit of a month. Do this until the measurement you took of the hump is gone. 1" hump will take you 4 months. Hot weather will also help, I would not try to lift the hull in cold weather. And hot weather will greatly help.

IMO it will take time to fix this, and by rights just as long as it took to disfigure. But it is hard to say it took 6 months with the boat incorrectly supported or 4 years to disfigure. And at what point was the boat unsupported correctly. Was the boat moved during the 4 years. Was is stored on the soft ground? Are your wind tie down too tight and pulling the hull down? Is the hull dis-formed where the supports are supporting? Are there humps at those locations.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Eric
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by Delta-T; 01-17-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.