Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road
Storing Roller Furler Headstay

I'm planning on swapping my roller furling headstay (Harken Mk IV on a Beneteau 36.7) for a tuff luff that I've have rolled up in my garage since I bought the boat.

Can I store the roller furler setup in the same manner - just roll it up in a circle with about a 7 ft diameter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Storing Roller Furler Headstay

No.. the Harken furler's foil is a series of interconnected rigid segments. Assuming this isn't a temporary measure you'll need to break the foil down.

For temporary storage laying the whole works out flat works best, but it takes a lot of space obviously.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
theonecalledtom (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014
Windseeker

Crap. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
I'm planning on swapping my roller furling headstay (Harken Mk IV on a Beneteau 36.7) for a tuff luff that I've have rolled up in my garage since I bought the boat.

Can I store the roller furler setup in the same manner - just roll it up in a circle with about a 7 ft diameter?
Why wouldn't you simply remove the drum and use the harken foil as you would the tuff-luff? It will work fine without the drum.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-17-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Why wouldn't you simply remove the drum and use the harken foil as you would the tuff-luff? It will work fine without the drum.
This is true if it's a split drum (I think most are) but you're left with the swivel sitting at the bottom of the foil all the time.. a deck-tacked headsail has to 'go around' that obstruction.

Of course he could disconnect and remove the swivel too, I suppose....

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 01-17-2014

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

This is for others that might coming looking: I use PVC pipe hangers on my floor joists, the big ones. I have to curve my Flexible Furler in a wide arc in order to fit.
Old 01-18-2014
Windseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
That's what I've been doing but the groove on the furler is pretty tight and sails should go up / down much easier with the tuff-luff.

Old 01-18-2014
Windseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
This is true if it's a split drum (I think most are) but you're left with the swivel sitting at the bottom of the foil all the time.. a deck-tacked headsail has to 'go around' that obstruction.

Of course he could disconnect and remove the swivel too, I suppose....
I do remove the lower swivel, and drop the upper one below the feed, but as mentioned above the main aim is for faster hoists and drops.

Old 01-18-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
I do remove the lower swivel, and drop the upper one below the feed, but as mentioned above the main aim is for faster hoists and drops.
Tom--

You might find that cleaning the luff slot and having a good coating of SailKote on your luff tape solves, or at least materially improves, the performance of the Harken foil without loosing its utility. As for cleaning/lubricating the foil itself, that can be done with short lengths of luff tape with the flaps sewn over matching lengths of open cell foam padding with grommets through the flaps on each end. These can be attached to one's halyard and a down haul. Soaking one in a mild cleaning solution--leaving it sopping wet-- and then hoisting it up and down the foil a couple of times will help clean the slot. Likewise, after allowing the foil to dry, applying a good dose of SailKote to a second foil pad will allow you apply a faily good coating of the material to the slot. With that, and a good coating of SailKote on your sails' luff tapes, you'll be surprised at how easily they can be raised and lowered, the ease governed only by how much friction you have in your halyard system.

FWIW...
Faster likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-18-2014
Just another Moderator

Great idea, Hylyte, in addition it could be that one or more of the foil sections isn't perfectly aligned, or perhaps the spinn pole smacked it a time of two and 'pinched off' the slot a bit causing extra drag and resistance.

Does seem a shame to give up the furling option for cruising by going to a tuffluff.