Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-22-2005

mr.fixit is on a distinguished road
sail drives

I am investigating sail drive for v drive replacement. Atomic 4 to diesel. I would appreciate any imput, positive or negative.(30 ft sail boat approx sailing weight--12,000lbs)considering 20hp yanmar with sail drive. This install could stop a lot of future problems, shaft, stuffing box, vibration etc. I am sure it could cause some problems, I do not have the experience to know what they may be. Any help appreciated
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2005

jbanta is on a distinguished road
sail drives

Hi

You are starting right in the type of saildrive you are looking at Yanmar makes fine drive machinery. The only major problem with saildrive isn''t really a problem it maintainance. You must be careful not to forget to lub the tail essembly. I have know sailors who have taken gret care of the engine but didn''t think about the tail. You want to install this drive once so remember your tail. Other than that I think it is superior to standard drive units. You will be happy with the quiet and the power. I think they are a bit more efficent because the prop is so low.. That brings up one more point.. Make sure the unit is 100% centered amidships. being off just a little will cause alot of trouble. Good luck..
Old 06-27-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
sail drives

Fixit, I think there are more structural and naval architecture issues raised by your plans than installation and operational ones. I considered doing this when repowering from a diesel plus V-drive installation and ended up concluding there were too many unknowns; I also couldnīt determine the impact of my choice on the boatīs later resale value.

Re: Jimīs comments, I would look very closely at the specific sail drive unit and how feasible it is to remove ALL of the replaceable zinc components that protect the unit from galvanic corrosion. For some reason, sail drives vary greatly in this respect and some do not lend themselves to salt water use IMO due to the difficulty of replacing their zinc collars.

Jack
Old 06-27-2005

KenD is on a distinguished road
sail drives

Didn''t Sail Mag do an article on sail draves an the problems good luck
Old 06-30-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
sail drives

SAIL did indeed do a feature article on sail drives, back in late 2004 or early 2005 as I recall. It was an excellent example of contemporary sailing mag journalism, where the author gathered up all the good words of several manufacturers and sprayed them across the page with nary a concern mentioned about their liabilities...beginning with the fact the leg can be a wonderful anode for the rest of the boat.

Anyone heard about the Bavaria keel falling off in the Med a month or two ago, killing the Captain? The charter operator who owned the boat (a Match 38, as I recall) immediately checked the rest of his fleet and found half of the keel attachment areas cracked and weakened. To their credit, I read this in Britain''s YACHTING MONTHLY. With a few exceptions - in periodicals Latitude 38 and all of Belvoir Pubs mags) and some contributors to the other rags (Ralph Naranjo of CW is a good example) - USA boating mags have much to be ashamed of, IMO.

Jack
Old 03-02-2010

tonybythesea is on a distinguished road
My Yanmar SD is corroded but is still working .I,m trying to locate a SD rebuild manufacturer as the cost of a new one is outrageous.tonybythesea
Old 03-12-2010

oldironnut is on a distinguished road
I investigated new stuff for a 27' with and existing no good inboard engine. I found that an engine-trans is around 6K and a new engine-saildrive is closer to 9K. I imagine the repower for the engine-trans would be closer to "bolt-in" and the saildrive would require some " cut and build". As always, ask someone who has been there-done that. Good luck. I'll be interest to watch your progress.
Old 03-15-2010

kcford is on a distinguished road
I did a complete install of a Volvo diesel and saildrive some years ago. The actual install was relatively easy. In brief, the process was as follows:
Level boat on the hard.
Position the fiberglass mount; level it by shimming underneath. Scribe a cut line all around to match hull contour.
Use belt sander to grind to the cut line. Glass to hull. Cut hole in hull where mount dictates.
Drop in drive. Drop in motor.