Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-22-2005

mcagney is on a distinguished road
Racing instrumentation advice?

I need to upgrade/replace the old B&G instrumentation on my boat. I am leaning towards the following:

(a) B&G Hydra 2000 main processor with depth, wind speed/direction, boat speed

(b) B&G performance processor with polar data capability

(c) B&G multi function displays

I currently have Radar (SL70+), Autopilot (Raymarine S2G smart pilot) and GPS and intend to link all together.

I race my boat and have just purchased North 3DL sails so I want instrumentation that can provide target speeds, tacking angles etc.

The B&G stuff is not cheap but seems to have major market share. Does anyone have any comments, advise, suggestions etc.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2005

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
Racing instrumentation advice?

There are others out there, but you will need a second mortgage to afford the Ockam line of instruments.

I recently installed a full set of the Silva Nexus series of instruments and I''ve been quite pleased. Their new line up is called NX2.

http://www.silva.se/marine/index.htm

They offer full networking, single wire daisy chain wiring, and all the features you can ask for. Mine is a full networked system, all the instruments "talk" to each other and share information. I use a server, a pair of multi controls, a star nav repeater, wind data, an analog wind direction, and a dual fluxgate compass. I integrated my Garmin GPS, but my AutoHelm 2000 GP+ tiller pilot is not in the loop. I''ll upgrade to an integrated pilot when that one fails.

You can download polars from your PC, and have full control of all displays from one position. Not only that, they have a real, live person in tech support who knows every conceivable interconnection scenario.

B&G''s are nice. I raced with them for years, they were the Rolex watches of the instrument set. But like Rolex, there are other great watches (systems) out there.

Take a look at the link I pasted above and see if you can get everything you need from them. If nothing else, it will give you another company to compare B&G to.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook