SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Flexible Water Tank Installation

10K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Help appreciated: Nauta Flexible tanks are not made with vents. Question: Can the tank be installed with with a hard coupled connection to dockside water ( using a 35psi pressure regulator)? The present plumbing system, using the boat''s original hard tank which must be replaced, succesfully uses a ball valve T which diverts the pressure reduced suppply to either the tank for filling, or, for dockside convenience, to the cold water supply behind the pressure pump. The issues seem to include: Can the tank handle the pressure? Will the tank develop an air-lock, or will that simply dissipate out through the tank''s outlet line which runs to the in-line pump?

#2 ·
I can''t remember where I read this, but I heard that leaving it connected can be a real danger, even with a pressure regulator. If any sort of leak were to occur you could start rapidly taking on water. I guess this is a fairly common way that boats sink.

#3 ·
I have two Plastimo Bladders for extra water when I plan to be on the hook for more than a few days. They do not need vents. In answer to the original question, no they will not take the pressure. Also, setting them up to backfill by using the inlet valve not the proper way to fill them and one mistake will blow them out. You can get away with this pratice on a hard tank if the fill vent is large enough to spill the overflow the tank won''t crack or blow off a line.

Additionally, hoking up to city water direct is another way to sink your boat. Not reocmmended, but if you must, then do two things, and none of them with the tanks on line. Get a 30psi water pressure regulator and put it in line. Second, go to a Home Depot and buy a water sprinkler timer, the kind you put on a garden hose. Water flow runs the timer. You crank up about 100 gals. on the dial and should you forget to turn the water off and any fitting inside the boat fails, you will only dump 100 gals of water in there, most likely not enough to sink the boat and hopefully the bilge pumps will keep up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.