Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By knuterikt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014

svsalako is on a distinguished road
Jefa Autopilot experience?

Hi --

I need to install a reliable autopilot on my Peterson 46. I any interested in the Jefa units, particularly the linear drive LD 100, and their stand alone control head the AP1. Does anyone have any experience with either of these units or the Jefa autopilots in general?

Thanks in advance for replies.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Jefa Autopilot experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsalako View Post
Hi --

I need to install a reliable autopilot on my Peterson 46. I any interested in the Jefa units, particularly the linear drive LD 100, and their stand alone control head the AP1. Does anyone have any experience with either of these units or the Jefa autopilots in general?

Thanks in advance for replies.
I installed a Jefa LD 100 one year ago, so it has only been used one season.
It is connected to a Coursmaster AP, so no experience with the AP1
The linear drive unit is working good and it looks like a well engineered product.
Jefa deliver complete steering systems (including AP drive units) to a lot of production boats.
The AP1 is a stand alone AP - it will not integrate with MFD or wind sensors (AFAIK).

Presale support from Jefa was excellent - had some questions before we ordered.
Bought both the Linear drive LD 100 and a tiller arm machined to fit our installation from Jefa.
It's not easy to get a good picture of the LD after install, but here it is
christian.hess likes this.
Old 01-22-2014

gtod25 is on a distinguished road

No direct experience but I did a lot of research on the Jefa system. I almost bought the complete LD 100, and their stand alone control head the AP1 on eBay a few months ago but changed my mind. AFAIK the drive unit is the same (or similar) as the one that Garmin supplies with one of their systems. Garmin rates it for vessels to 28K lbs. I know Jefa rates their AP1 for for vessels up to 45ft but I prefer to go with displacement. My boat is a Whitby 42 with a theoretical displacement of 27K lbs, your KP 46 is 30K lbs. In both cases the actual boat displacements would be +3K lbs. IMHO this makes this AP marginal and I have a problem with marginal especially when it concerns autopilots.

From my research if my boat had a real world displacement of say 25K lbs I would have gone for the Jefa AP1 system. The company has a good reputation and the system looks simple.

knuterikt, what is your boat make and displacement?

Regards

Gerry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-22-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

what are these costing approx?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-22-2014

gtod25 is on a distinguished road

"The Jefa AP-1 from PYI is available in two models, the 17AP112LD (for 20- to 40-foot vessels) and the 17AP112DD (for 30- to 45-foot vessels), and is priced at US $3,500 and $4,500, respectively. The unit is available for purchase from authorized PYI dealers, installers and distributors throughout the United States and Canada, as well as directly from PYI." taken from the PYI site.

PYI Inc

Last edited by gtod25; 01-22-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
No direct experience but I did a lot of research on the Jefa system. I almost bought the complete LD 100, and their stand alone control head the AP1 on eBay a few months ago but changed my mind. AFAIK the drive unit is the same (or similar) as the one that Garmin supplies with one of their systems. Garmin rates it for vessels to 28K lbs. I know Jefa rates their AP1 for for vessels up to 45ft but I prefer to go with displacement. My boat is a Whitby 42 with a theoretical displacement of 27K lbs, your KP 46 is 30K lbs. In both cases the actual boat displacements would be +3K lbs. IMHO this makes this AP marginal and I have a problem with marginal especially when it concerns autopilots.

From my research if my boat had a real world displacement of say 25K lbs I would have gone for the Jefa AP1 system. The company has a good reputation and the system looks simple.

knuterikt, what is your boat make and displacement?

Regards

Gerry
Jefa make the drive unit used by Garmin, it's a model with integrated rudder sensor.

If displacement or LOA is the best sizing parameters for selecting an AP have been discussed here before. But going a size up never hurts.

PYI have to versions of the AP1 on the web site
The larger drive unit (17AP112DD) have a max torque 150 KgM
While the smaller (17AP112LD) have a max torque 150 KgM

My boat is a Beneteau First 38 displacement 7000 kg / 14000 lbs. (around 8000 kg loaded)