SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Yanmar Fuel Leak

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jnj 
#1 ·
Fuel Leak.There is a Yanmar 2GM20 in our boat with a consistant fuel leak from the bleed screw on the secondary fuel filter (attached to the engine). I have changed the neoprene washer twice making certain not to overtighten and when I feel the leak is sealed I motor off. When I return the leak has resumed and I have a few ounces of fuel in the bilge. The Yanmar distributer sent me a replacement screw which is longer; I wonder if I need a hard washer between the screw head and the neoprene washer?

#3 ·
I had the same problem with my yanmar. I took a good look at the threads in the filter case an found them questionable. The 8 mm. screw has been altered to bleed off any air so I wanted to use it. I had already had to rethread another 8mm. thread so I drilled out the threads and tapped the new hole, screwed in some threads, put the screw and washer back in and have had no trouble since then.
You can buy one of these helicoil repair kits at any autoparts store and probably at west marine.
Good luck, Bill

#4 ·
Bill, that''s probably a true fix; to rethread the bleed screw hole. However, in desperation, I thought I may be compressing these washers too much and seated a new washer then backed it up with the old squeezed neoprene washer and carefully tightened them down. After two sails out onto the Barnegat Bay it seems to be holding. Thanks again. Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.