Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2014
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Last but not least, I need an anchor

I agree with the Manson Supreme. It's good to go with what you have experience with but the new gen anchors are bullet proof! Had the claw and the delta, both of which failed me at different points. Had the Manson Supreme now for about 5 years now and totally trust it.

Regarding the statement about the anchor that appears to be permanently mounted on the rode, I think there must be some point of attachment that is not immediately visible. There must be an allen wrench bolt on there somewhere at least. The purpose would be to keep it from detaching under water, not so much theft.

You probably wont need a windlass for that sized boat and rode. Unless you want on due to just plainly don't want to haul up a bit of chain and anchor. If you were going with an all chain rode, you might want a windlass as well.

Have fun!

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

" but I can't think of anyone stealing an anchor. "
What, you never saw the FoxTV show "World's Dumbest Anchor Thieves" ?? Really ??

Up into the 90's a windlass was something you only heard of big-boat world cruisers installing. Everyone else just got exercise. Buy a couple of 10# dumbbells, use 'em twice daily, save a couple of grand on the windlass?

Problem being the windlass you need will depend on how much anchor you are slinging, and I'd rather try to mail-order someone a bride (Russian? Chinese? Wait, I'm going to surprise you!) than suggest what a good anchor might be. Even some of the tests that you can find online (West, Practical Sailor) from arguably objective sources, all wind up saying they don't understand why some work better than others sometimes and not others.

Although I'm convinced, dumbbells, windlass, or gorilla on the foredeck, if you can LIFT an anchor, it is too light for anything except a lunch hook. Of course some stubborn folks disagree about that as well. (VBG)
Old 01-23-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

The type of anchor also depends on the holding ground ie. sand, gravel, grass etc... here in So Cal I have been good with a Danforth

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-23-2014

harmonic is on a distinguished road

manson supreme all the way just put one on my boat got sick of dragging my plough all over the place amazing performance
Old 01-24-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I think I may be going the 22 lb Bruce route. It served me without fail in over 120 situations last year.
I wouldn't. Our Manson Supreme is amazing. They ought to be classified as mooring anchors.

In prior years, we'd double anchor (Bahama moor) with a CQR and a Bruce, so I know what I'm talking about. Of course, we anchor mostly on sand and mud and sometimes grass. You may be doing something different.

This past summer, we didn't lift anchor for a few weeks. Diving on the anchor to make sure it was OK, it was discovered that the anchor was gone! The chain just went down into the mud and disappeared. The anchor had worked it's way in, even with shifting winds on a large lake with 2 miles of fetch.

(I'd say Rocna, but the bendy Chinese metal that they make it out of now is not what I want.)

Manson Supreme all the way.

Regards,
Brad

P.S. By the way, forget the heavy chain and kellet. Studies show that pound for pound, you are better puttting those pounds into a lighter chain that is longer. Scope is what keeps an anchor in place, not catenary weight. When you really need the anchor is when the wind has the chain "bar tight" with no catenary. You'll be glad you put that extra weight (for the same cost) into a longer chain. Lighter chain and a heavier anchor. And get the Manson Supreme.
utchuckd likes this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 01-24-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Just don't use the "rock slot" on the Manson Supreme, that thing is evil in high tidal exchange areas like what we have around here. It'll drag the anchor out of the ground very quickly when the boat turns around due to wind or tidal shifts.

Otherwise the anchor is great.
Old 01-24-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I can't imagine buying new and not going next-gen. You pick which, I really do not believe there is all that much difference, other than subtleties in how they look. If one is more pleasing to your eye (likely meaning least unpleasant, as next gens are funny looking), get that one.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-24-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Just don't use the "rock slot" on the Manson Supreme, that thing is evil in high tidal exchange areas like what we have around here. It'll drag the anchor out of the ground very quickly when the boat turns around due to wind or tidal shifts.

Otherwise the anchor is great.
Yes, I haven't used the rock slot yet, except as another lashing point when securing the anchor to the bow.

Years ago when I did a lot of spearfishing, there was this one place by the navigation buoy on the southwest end of Fishers Island where the blackfish were quite numerous. (The buoy used to be a black can, back in the day.) In a shallow area close to the buoy, the bottom was made up of a thick pile of rocks. Once or twice I found a nice Danforth that had been cut loose. The rocks catch anchors and don't let them go.

If anyone wants an anchor, I'd almost bet there's one there now, sitting in 10 feet of water, caught in the rocks.

So I can see the purpose of the rock slot, even though I haven't used it yet.

Regards,
Brad

P.S. There's a big antique anchor sitting on the bottom near the Race, in a location out of the way from where we usually spearfished. I could put an X on the map at it's exact location. It's got to be 10 feet long, and the wooded crossbeam was long gone. No way I was bringing that up. I just paused on the bottom a couple feet from it. Anyway I can just imagine some boat of yesteryear getting caught by the standing waves and using it in some last-ditch effort. It a mystery that only I've seen, which seems strange in this super-connected world.
jimgo likes this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bene505 For This Useful Post:
LinekinBayCD (01-25-2014)
Old 01-24-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
P.S. There's a big antique anchor sitting on the bottom near the Race, in a location out of the way from where we usually spearfished. I could put an X on the map at it's exact location. It's got to be 10 feet long, and the wooded crossbeam was long gone. No way I was bringing that up. I just paused on the bottom a couple feet from it. Anyway I can just imagine some boat of yesteryear getting caught by the standing waves and using it in some last-ditch effort. It a mystery that only I've seen, which seems strange in this super-connected world.
Actually, it has a webcam channel now...

northoceanbeach likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-24-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I still hand-bomb our 35# CQR and 40' chain/rope rode setup.. so I don't think you need a windlass for a 22 lb anchor.

Just sold the CQR and have bought a Mantus, but really I think any of the new/next generation anchors will do equally well. Looking forward to proving that to ourselves with the Mantus.

Plenty of people do well up here with a Bruce too.. given that so many are moving to the new style anchors I'd expect finding a good used Bruce would not be difficult. The various claws are also well regarded among the 'old gen' styles.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.