Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Last but not least, I need an anchor

Sorry to bombard the g and m section, but I just got a new boat and I'm trying to budget and prioritise everything it did not come with.

It is 5500# fin keel. As of now it has no windlass.

Last year I hand pulled a 22 lb Bruce claw with 25 ft of chain. That was on a 3500# boat and it never failed me. It was one size up.

For some reason these boats just don't seem to come with anchors. Well I take that back. They come with all the danforth knockoffs you could ever want. Ive started a collection in my garage.

But I need a real anchor. Preferably one a size up aka the storm size. I was happy with the claw, would t mind other options. I have heard the new designs are great but don't know anything about them.

At 5500# am I still good with say 25-30 feet of chain and rope combo? It has the standard anchor locker right at the front of the bow. I dont know anything about installing a windless. I assume they make hand crank ones also. To install a windlass do you have to cut a hole in the deck or do they bolt through?

What system would you recommend? I'm finding someone's advice very good when earlier I had mentioned my budget for a boat was x. He said my budget was really y because it would cost $5000 to get it set up. At the time I was thinking "pss I'll just find one that comes with everything" when I looked at this boat I thought wow, this has everything(except a dinghy). That was wrong.

As an aside. Whenever I see those shiny anchor they seem to be permanently attached to the chain. There isn't an Allen wrench bolt or anything. What is this? An anti theft measure is all I can think of but I can't think of anyone stealing an anchor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Last but not least, I need an anchor

Be glad to take a couple of those Danforth anchors off your hands any in the upper twenty lb range I need a spare or two if price is right

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

what type of boat?

Old 01-22-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Don't think you need a windlass on a boat that size. I don't have one on my 11,000 lb 33 footer. And 25-30 feet of chain plus nylon rode sound good to me. Since you are buying new, I would go with a Manson Supreme or Rocna as your primary. Use one of the Danforths as the secondary.
Old 01-22-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Mantus. Hands down.

It's what's on my bow.

And they have exceptional customer service.
Dfok likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-22-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I really like my modern-gen Manson Supreme. The Seattle boat show starts on Friday and last year I got the 25lb Manson Supreme at Fisheries using a boat-show deal for about $150. Normal price is about $100 more (or $300 at West Marine).

My neighbor has an bruce anchor just like the one that you bought from us last year that he'd sell. The 22lb size is still plenty big for your new boat.
Old 01-22-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

For how I use my 6500 lb boat here in the salish sea, a 9 lb fastset with a whopping 6' of 3/8" chain is my always up front ready to deploy race anchor. Holds me well too, even up to 15 knot winds. I seem to recall seeing somewhere a max of 20 knots for a boat my size.

My other anchor is a true bruce at 7.5KG/16.5 lbs and 20' of 1/4 chain. Came with the boat, has held me fine into the mid 20's steady, gusts into the low 30's. If I was going to be anchoring a lot, 40-50' of 5.16" chain would be prefered, along with an anchor in the 10-12KG, or mid 20 lb range for around here.

You can decide on the style other than a plow/spade style would be my choice as I already have.

marty
Old 01-23-2014

baboon is on a distinguished road

I use a bruce with about the same amount of chain you mentioned. I also sail in the PNW and it has never failed me either. Since they have no moving parts and are considered an "older" anchor a good used one could be a real bargin for a safe anchor. My boat is 30, about 9,000 and I do not have a windlass. The only time I wish I had one was last summer in the San Juans when it was blowing hard and I could not pull the boat up to the anchor and had to motor up on it. If I had been single handed a windlas would have been nice to help handle the rode (you are not supposed to use a windlas to drag the boat around). As it was I had my wife at the helm so got it up without too much trouble.
Old 01-23-2014

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

Here's what I have for the PNW used the "complete book of anchoring to get the wind strain and holding numbers:

Working Anchor (to 30 kts) Bruce-sand, mud, gravel
Storm Anchor (to 45 kts) Fortress -sand, mud
Stern Anchor Danforth-sand, mud
Back-up anchor Northill- gravel, rock, weed
Tandem Anchors (to 80 kts. or surging)Fortress/Danforth-sand, mud

Here I think it's handy to have more than one type because of different bottoms. A killet is handy if you need to use a short scope e.g. crowded anchorage also helps to keep the rode from getting run over. The rule of thumb for chain has been the boat length. When I did the numbers I found that my two bolt cleat was under strength so I put in a four bolt in the deck with a big backing plate. I also split the anchor's chain locker in half and put in another cowl. So I have two anchors on the bow, Bruce and Fortress each with its own rode. I can also hook the two rodes end to end if I need an extra long one. An inexpensive place to anchor shop is the consignment stores
Cal-29
Old 01-23-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I think I may be going the 22 lb Bruce route. It served me without fail in over 120 situations last year.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.