Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-29-2001

Vitamin is on a distinguished road
Raytheon ST-60 instruments

From letter to OCEANTALK, the Australian Raytheon ST-60 agent.

You state: "The swapping of equipment with out solving the problem creates more harm than good and postpones the date at which customer satisfaction is achieved".

My comment is: This is a simple 5-minutes swap-job to actually exchange the header-unit and then be able to test the outcome, nothing amateurish about that. I have already waited six month with this ST-60 installed in my boat and still waiting to see even a commitment to a future date when it will be fixed. Some positive practical action is not going to create any "harm''. How could it?

If a simple "swap" indicate that the header-unit is faulty, you don''t need to know anything more, just send it back to UK manufacturer for the proper "experts" to bench-test it there. A huge leap forward!

I understand that you are primarily a sales organization with sub-contracted local installers and with no "in-house" laboratory facilities in Australia. Do I assume right?. I hope you don''t feel this has degenerated into some "prestige issue and that is why your organization blankly refuses me this obvious and simple possibility? I hope my trusty instinct is missleading this time. . .

You state: "We need to know why we are doing something before we do it and be confident that we are giving the customer what he is entitled to."

My comment is: Not a very scientific / investigative professional approach at all in my opinion. Often you must "do something" in order to gain some knowledge. All I am asking for is a reasonable well serviceable speed log. How about that?

Fact is I am now quite happy to accept a mediocre, even a somewhat "crappy" unit, thank you very much, but I think I am stuck with a product much below that base standard, and that I cannot accept. What precisely ARE my entitlements in your opinion?.

I have nil problems with any of the other ST-60 or ST-50, or related products, so why this protracted problem with the speed display and sensor unit? I say, just pop a new set in the mail this very evening and we will all be much better off for it. Trust me!

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook