Water hoses gooey - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-24-2014 Thread Starter

Water hoses gooey

Hi All,

Life long mechanic, but I've got one here I've never seen. As I was going through the Universal 5424, I replaced a water hose, (from the engine to the boat heater). No big, bought the hose at the local auto parts store. Installed it 2 months ago, everything has been fine. I was In the engine this past weekend just looking things over and I brushed against this hose. Just this hose is shiny and if you wipe a rag over it, it's all gummy and it comes off on the rag. Ideas?

Dave

Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-24-2014
Reward for lost Kraken!

Re: Water hoses gooey

Sounds like the hose was uncured or otherwise defective material. Brand name or bargain bin? In any case, I'd replace it ASAP. Take it back to the store & let them see the problem, while you're at it.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-24-2014
Sailor

Engine overheat? Assuming you bought a coolant or heater hose for a vehicle it should be ok with the temps that the diesel gets normally. That's a puzzle for me as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-24-2014
Learning the HARD way...

something (coolant, fuel, engine cleaner, etc.) is acting as a solvent, and attacking the hose. Replace the hose with another brand and chemical makeup.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #5 of 9 Old 01-24-2014

Probably an overdose of 'molding aid' compound added to the 'rubber' when extruding/forming it and now the 'molding aid' is migrating to the surface of the rubber.

Same thing happens to extruded/molded vinyl (electric cords and boat fenders) ... eventually over a long time forms a sticky goo on surface. That your water hose shows the goo very quickly - compounding error with too much molding aid. That hose was probably the first to be made on a monday morning, ... after a long weekend.

Most of these molding aid compounds are slightly soluble in oil.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-24-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. No engine overheat issues. I'll go along with bad hose and replace it.

GOD, Family, career
post #7 of 9 Old 01-24-2014

It may be oil causing the damage. I started a recall for major a bus manufactur when I noticed they were using a EPDM coolant hose under the dip stick (oil disolves EPDM). It was a Gates coolant hose, very low in permiability, but unsuitable for use around oil or diesel.

It is much less likely to be a coolant or curing issue than a wrong material issue (I work in the industry).

https://www.gates.com/downloads/file...hemical_04.pdf

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...ocation_id=541

AVOID EPDM Hoses!!

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Last edited by pdqaltair; 01-24-2014 at 10:02 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-24-2014 Thread Starter

[QUOTE=pdqaltair;1339521]It may be oil causing the damage. I started a recall for major a bus manufactur when I noticed they were using a EPDM coolant hose under the dip stick (oil disolves EPDM). It was a Gates coolant hose, very low in permiability, but unsuitable for use around oil or diesel.

The hose runs above the engine over to the side of the dog house and down. I don't have 1 drop of stray oil in the compartment. I am going to go to the marine store for a replacement. Thanks.

GOD, Family, career
post #9 of 9 Old 01-24-2014

[quote=Dave_E;1340681]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
It may be oil causing the damage. I started a recall for major a bus manufactur when I noticed they were using a EPDM coolant hose under the dip stick (oil disolves EPDM). It was a Gates coolant hose, very low in permiability, but unsuitable for use around oil or diesel.

The hose runs above the engine over to the side of the dog house and down. I don't have 1 drop of stray oil in the compartment. I am going to go to the marine store for a replacement. Thanks.
Just a bad batch, then.

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.