SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   HOOD Stoboom, mainsail furler (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/1189-hood-stoboom-mainsail-furler.html)

Vitamin 04-20-2001 04:37 AM

HOOD Stoboom, mainsail furler

Do you use a HOOD Stoboom?

I installed a "HOOD Stoboom" system that''s unfortunately not available "new" now, but mine was hardly used.
I initially ordered the Profurl open boom system, but had some bizare trouble the West Australian distributer, so I had to forget it. I found this complete system for a fraction of the cost, so I was happy.

I like in-boom roller systems because you can use a fully battened sail and trim it much like a "normal" set-up. .

I had some problems with the line-drive and the boom aligment, but all is now under control. But, don''t let a "clutsz" use it until trained..

I have added some sail-reinforcements and loops for a "3rd reef" if things get really hairy down here close to the "Roaring 40''s" .

I just love it when I can first furl the head-sail from the cockpit, press the Autopilot button and walk up on deck and roll the 350'' main in about 20-40 seconds.

Hard yacka, but easy now when I put the mainsail halyard on the Anderson winch REVERSED and a elastic cord as "friction brake". It gives the right tension and I can just crank like crazy.

Summary: This stuff is like most gear on a boat, only as god as the installation and the "set-up".
Fair sailing and let me hear what you think of your HOOD Stoboom system!

Jeff_H 04-21-2001 01:41 PM

My dad had a stoboom on his 42 footer. The thing would work fine for a while but when all hell broke loose it would cease fuctioning. It also required a precise angle to the wind to work, a luxury few of have when things get really dicey. He went back to a conventional boom and mainsail. An expensive and quite dangerous lesson.

Jeff

Vitamin 04-23-2001 06:43 AM

Jeff_H, your dad had a stoboom, but can you remember how the "line-drive" unit was positioned in relation (and distance) to the HOOD stoboom goose-neck? Thank you

tock 03-29-2008 04:57 PM

Hood Stoboom

Any tips that Vitamin or anyone else can give me on using this system will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

camaraderie 03-29-2008 09:04 PM

Suggest you PM JeffH as Vitamin has not been seen in these parts since 2001!

tock 03-30-2008 02:39 PM

Thanks. I'll keep asking around. I'm asking hood to find me an old manual too. Of course, they may want to pretend StoBoom was never their baby.
Bill

camaraderie 03-30-2008 07:37 PM

No problem...welcome aboard. I'm afraid the reputation of that early model is something akin to Windows Vista! :D

CamWms 03-10-2009 09:32 PM

I have and use a Sto-Boom on my TOCK. I have a manual, and can copy it for you. Having the boom at a right angle to the mast lets it come down easy. I can take some pics of how it is rigged. The crank fitting under it on the mast broke and until I get it fixed, I do it all by hand. Because the sail is old, sometimes it comes out of the track on the way up, but down is quite quick and easy. This is my first big boat (summer '08) and I have not had it in very heavy wind or seas.

frlott 06-27-2009 07:21 AM

Stoboom Manual request

CamWms,

ANy chance I can get a copy of the Stoboom Manual? A dockmate has Stoboom on an older C&C 34 and is trying to get it back in shape.

FRLott

USMCWayne 08-20-2009 06:26 PM

Your SToboom manual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamWms (Post 460669)
I have and use a Sto-Boom on my TOCK. I have a manual, and can copy it for you. Having the boom at a right angle to the mast lets it come down easy. I can take some pics of how it is rigged. The crank fitting under it on the mast broke and until I get it fixed, I do it all by hand. Because the sail is old, sometimes it comes out of the track on the way up, but down is quite quick and easy. This is my first big boat (summer '08) and I have not had it in very heavy wind or seas.

Any chance you still have a copy of the Stoboom manual that I might obtain?
Wayne