Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014

magicmoments is on a distinguished road
Re: Autopilot - wheel pilot vs below deck

Christian
You could check out the new Garmin autohelm. They will power many old drive units according to the wiring instructions that came with mine. They just need a optional hook up cable
Good Luck
christian.hess likes this.
Old 01-25-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

oooooooooooh interesting!
Old 01-26-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Wheel pilots are simple, by comparison, to install and repair. However, many below deck APs will connect to the rudder beyond the helm wheel linkage. This give you redundant steering, should your helm linkage break, without having to bring out the old emergency tiller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I'm kind of going through this same exercise right now. My old Raymarine ST4000 is starting to give up the ghost. It was always undersized for my boat, but it worked fine for a lot of years.

I'd like to have one that hooked directly to the rudder post, but I also always like that I could see when the ST4000 was having problems, and could accordingly balance the sail plan.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 01-26-2014
new dad!

I had an autohelm on my last boat, a wheel pilot, and x2 on stuff like belt tension, friction...constantly adjustig etc

having said that I think one like the cpt which is straight down and can be tensioned with a clip would work better as it would be standalone

one thing I hated about this last autohelm wheel pilot was the fact that you had to climb over the moving belt or simpy not use the stbd side cockpit sole and have it clear all the time

yes it was very easy to un clip but during use I didnt like it...

plus if you have flexy lazarette glass you add to the whole stretchy constantly adjusting nature of the thin belt

anywhoo

if I can save up the CPT is looking mighty fine at $1800
Old 01-26-2014

IStream is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I'm kind of going through this same exercise right now. My old Raymarine ST4000 is starting to give up the ghost. It was always undersized for my boat, but it worked fine for a lot of years.

I'd like to have one that hooked directly to the rudder post, but I also always like that I could see when the ST4000 was having problems, and could accordingly balance the sail plan.
If you put a belowdeck unit on with a rudder position indicator, you can see whether your sailplan is balanced and adjust accordingly.
Old 01-27-2014

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road

We have similar boats (yes yours is way nicer) 11,000 dis. LOA about 36+ft. fin keel spaded rudder. I installed the Raymarine WP P-70/fluxgate compass and am very happy with it's performance. It was an upgrade from the Simrad which lasted almost 10 years. I mostly daysail/weekend and coastal cruise. With balanced sails I have had use in 25-30kts with 8-12 ft swells and it handled it well. Quiet and so far very reliable. It was about $1400. which was not cheep for me, however single handing without the AP was a real tiring even on daysails. I am glad to have it, and I think I bought it from this sight too.

Brad
Lancer 36
Old 01-27-2014

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hello,

I will be installing an Autopilot on my new to me C&C 110. It seems like Raymarine is the only one who makes a wheel pilot these days. The price is $1400 or so and I can probably install it myself. But, will it work well enough or do I need a below deck pilot? The 110 weighs around 11,000lbs.

My O'day 35 came with an Autohelm 3000 that works fine. It steers great when under power, when the wind is moderate, and the sails are balanced. It does not steer well when the wind is over 20 kts, or downwind with waves. Still, I have used it for 7 years and I was happy with it.

So, will I be happy with the Raymarine Evolution Autopilot EV-100 Wheel Drive or should I spend over $3000 for the Raymarine Evolution Autopilot EV-200 Linear Pack? I doubt I could install that myself since I don't do fabrication well.

Thanks,
Barry
I'd guess you would be happy, just because of your past experience. We have over 10 years on an ST4000 with a 15,000 disp boat, and when it does give up, I'll get another WP.

We're coastal sailors and have found the WP up to what we need. There are times it won't work and maybe a below decks would, but it's not worth the cost or installation time for what we do.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 01-27-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

We had a Raymarine wheel pilot on our previous boat (34' steel sloop). We were right on the edge of the weight limit but at no time did we experience any problems. My only complaint is that wheel pilots and/or tiller pilots tend to be a bit noisy. the key to keeping them running happily is to keep the boat well balanced. If you have bucket loads of weather helm then your wheel pilot is bound to get a tad testy.

Current boat has below decks and one could not complain at all. We did have a squeaky drive unit but that has been fixed and the thing is very quiet indeed.

So .... by choice I'd go below deck but on a smaller boat and keeping in mind the unit costs and installation expense of below deck then I'd be content with WP.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 01-28-2014
new dad!

allright guys found out I have a cetec BENMAR AP...below deck

pics to come

they are made or sold in santa ana, ca

Ill start a new thread for those interested

its a lot bigger than I thought