SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Horizon sounder

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
My Horizon depth sounder has worked just fine for the past 2 years or so, but suddenly it has gone on the fritz. There''s power to the unit, but it simply won''t come on anymore. Anyone had a similar experience? Any thoughts on a fix or is it time to deep six?

#2 ·
It comes on just fine, but the alarm started going off sporadically for no apparent reason. Then, just before a race, it started giving whacky readings (for like 200+ feet of water whree there is aonly 20 feet of water).

So the captain disconnected the sucker (mainly because of the alarm, but also because he was disgusted with the thing).

Kind of stinks because those instruments are not cheap.

Good news is we still have a lead line and the chart plotter on board.

#3 ·
My Data Marine unit does a similar thing although when it gives me false readings it''s more like between 2-3''. I know the readings are wrong since if it was 2'' I''d be hard aground.

I''ve had the head unit repaired a couple times and the sensor and integral cord replaced. Still have the same problem. At the end of this season, I''m pulling everything out and sending to DMI on Cape Cod to go over the whole thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.