Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-09-2005

Helimech is on a distinguished road
Yard Work

I’m thinking of putting an offer on a 45’ sailboat on the east coast of Florida that needs a refurb. The hull and deck are in pretty good shape but I want to re-do most of the interior. I’m looking at it taking 3 to 6 months. My plan was to do all the work at a yard in Florida but have been told that yards require that you buy all materials from them. Is this true? Does this mean everything from hardware to gensets to radios? This will be my first time working in a yard so have no idea of what the “norm” is. Any advice would be great. JC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2005

GordMay is on a distinguished road
Yard Work

I think it’s more “normal” for yards to require that you purchase underwater supplies from them.
ie: Playboy marine, in Ft. Lauderdale, sells bottom paint at list price. If you purchase it elsewhere, they charge a “blocking fee” upon haulout. It’s cheaper to pay the slight premium for their bottom paint. They don’t require you to purchase anything else from their chandlery.
HTH,
Gord May
Old 08-14-2005

PaulBl is on a distinguished road
Yard Work

Not all yards are the same. There really is no "usual" procedure these days. Some yards let you do what ever you like yourself but require that contractors you bring in have insurance (at different levels depending on the yard 1,2, or even 3 million in liability is not unusual). Some yards won''t let you work in the yard but will let you hire them to do it. they don''t have to let you bring in contractors and one yard near me would tack on 30% if I went there and used my own contractor.

In general, nothing is "understood" it''s all supposed to be spelled out in your contract.

The yard I use now charges for al things they do but let you do all you want yourself. You can buy supplies where you choose.

So like now. They hauled, blocked and will launch when I''m ready. My own contractor painted and di some engine work and will charge me direct with no yard markup. If I did it myself I could have brough in my own paint and done the work myself.

The real difference is they will probably charge a small amount for storage for these past few weeks but they wouldn''t if they did the work.

You just need to find out before you bring your boat there. They don''t have to let you do much of anything on your own if they don''t want to.
Old 08-19-2005

drwill is on a distinguished road
Yard Work

Give a call to Hurricane Cove, on the Miami River, in Miami. 305 324-3004
Old 08-21-2005

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
Yard Work

I suggest you refer to " Skipper Bob" book on Marinas. He list all the marinas / boat yards on the east coast and describes cost,facilities and anything revelent to boats. Great to compare. He sells his books on the net as well as chandlries. He has a great book also for anchoring free on the ICW