Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Adding a auxiliary outboard.

The biggest chance of having random inboard failure is when you are sailing in rough waters and the fuel tank gets mixed up and debris or water clogs the fuel filter.

Those same conditions are the ones where an outboard is not going to work well on boats any longer than 25' (unless you have a well that moves the outboard closer to the center of the boat). This is especially true of a dinghy outboard that has a short shaft.

I'd spend the effort overhauling the inboard and cleaning the fuel tank.

Having 100lbs hanging off of the stern of an average 28' boat doesn't help it's sailing either.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 01-30-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The biggest chance of having random inboard failure is when you are sailing in rough waters and the fuel tank gets mixed up and debris or water clogs the fuel filter.

Those same conditions are the ones where an outboard is not going to work well on boats any longer than 25' (unless you have a well that moves the outboard closer to the center of the boat). This is especially true of a dinghy outboard that has a short shaft.

I'd spend the effort overhauling the inboard and cleaning the fuel tank.

Having 100lbs hanging off of the stern of an average 28' boat doesn't help it's sailing either.
I thinking of when I get into the harbor, not when I'm sailing in a storm.

The two times I have had engine failure in 26 years of sailing, an outboard would have cured my problem.

One time, I was anchored and had run my battery down and had no way to charge it, and couldn't get my diesel cranked, and had to sail into an unfamiliar small harbor in Pensacola Bay, with the wind blowing into the harbor, and dock under sail. Not as much fun as I like.

The second time, I was coming int the west approach of Nassau, at dark. I cranked my diesel and it ran right up until I hit the entrance and then died (later found to be a blockage in the line as you describe), forcing me to sail to, and drop anchor in, a place I really didn't want to anchor, to unblock it, which took over an hour.

In either of those two cases, an outboard would have worked, and saved me a ton of trouble, which is probably why I think it's a good idea.

It's unconventional thinking I know. But, a lot of good ideas come from that kind of thinking.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Group9 For This Useful Post:
Zuma (02-04-2014)
Old 01-30-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

same here...whats true about alex´s statement is that many deisel inboard owners never clean or regulalrily service their tanks and when the crap hits the fan no amount of racor filters help any

that and air from sloshing fuel

Ill keep my outboard bracket for sure just in case, jajaja

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Unless you leave the outboard permanently mounted, trying to mount a 60 to 100 lb motor over the transom with the boat possibly bouncing around could be a real chore, even for a big strong person.

If you go the outboard route, I suggest you get the longest shaft that will fit.

Paul T
The Following User Says Thank You to dabnis For This Useful Post:
Zuma (02-04-2014)
Old 01-30-2014
new dad!

you can rig nice pulley systems on swinging mounts...plenty of cruisers use this method to simply pull the engine up from the dfinghy in the water works great

but yes its messy...quite dangerous sometimes and definetly NOT fun

but adrenaline in emergencies does wonders, jajaja

The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
Zuma (02-04-2014)
Old 02-01-2014

paulk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuma View Post
I have read a great deal written by UK and Ireland circumnavigators about the likelihood of running over unmarked fishing lines and fouling the prop, particularly around the Irish coasts. And loss of motor power for one reason or another is the No 1 cause of rescue according to the RNLI. )
Losing power may be the No 1 cause of rescue for the RNLI because they rescue a lot of powerboats. Is there a separate count of how many sailboats they rescue because they lose power? Fouling the prop on fishing lines is much less likely if you're under sail. We snagged nothing on our trip, touching at Crosshaven, Kinsale, Arklow, Wicklow, Dublin, Howth, Strangford Loch, Holy Loch, Dunoon, Man, and the Scillies. Things may be different out beyond the Irish Sea, but fishermen don't want their gear damaged any more than you want to run into it: unmarked lines may exist, but there shouldn't be many.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulk For This Useful Post:
Zuma (02-04-2014)
Old 02-02-2014

It's that last hundred or so feet into the harbor where an outboard would usually be handy in the event of a motor failure.

I once delivered a 32 footer with a motor that would only run five minutes before overheating, from Fairhope, AL to Biloxi, MS because I knew I would only need the motor for less than five minutes on both ends of the trip.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Zuma (02-04-2014)
Old 02-02-2014
new dad!

you can make anything work...however it works makes you decide how and when to use it...

Old 02-02-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
It's that last hundred or so feet into the harbor where an outboard would usually be handy in the event of a motor failure.
Sure, you can add a second auxiliary and a second fuel system to get that last 100 feet. or you can drop anchor and fix the problem. As you have discovered, the problem is usually simple, and is usually the result of deferred maintenance...and let's face it, if someone's not maintaining their primary engine, think the just-in-case outboard and it's tank of fuel is going to be neglected any less?

As others have pointed out, if you have a dinghy with an outboard you already have a justincase system- adding the complication of a motor mount to the transom of the big boat is an unnecessary complication.

Old 02-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Sure, you can add a second auxiliary and a second fuel system to get that last 100 feet. or you can drop anchor and fix the problem. As you have discovered, the problem is usually simple, and is usually the result of deferred maintenance...and let's face it, if someone's not maintaining their primary engine, think the just-in-case outboard and it's tank of fuel is going to be neglected any less?

As others have pointed out, if you have a dinghy with an outboard you already have a justincase system- adding the complication of a motor mount to the transom of the big boat is an unnecessary complication.
When is less tools in the tool box ever better than more tools in the tool box?

Zuma (02-04-2014)