Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Adding a auxiliary outboard.

when the tools you want to add are hammers and all your fasteners are screws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2014

Zuma is on a distinguished road

Three pages! I never had THREE pages of replies before.

I'm going to do it anyhow. My wife is about to renew the headlining in the rear cabin and so it is now or never. I have got a garage full of outboards and intend to experiment with the one best suited to getting me that last 200 metres bearing in mind the good stuff people have said about the size of the motor.

Here is the plan. I have made a template for the inside reinforcement and I have cut the pad out from 20mm marine ply. I have drilled a matrix of holes into it and intend to initially fix it to the inside of the transom using bonding paste such as Freefix.

Freefix 6470-W-2, GRP wood bonding paste - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies.

The pad ties in nicely with the curve of the hull as it goes up. The holes should fill with paste to key it in. That done I will glass over it. to fully bond it to the hull. I have sorted out a couple of knees and will bond those in as well to add a bit more strength. I have also designed a brace which I will attach between the pad and the rear locker which should resist the pad being pushed in if someone clonks the motor. With the 25mm teak pad on the outside, I am pretty sure that this lot will do the job. It should not take long with the right preparation and being newly retired I have plenty of time anyway. I will post photos.

Thanks for all the replies. Just for the record the inboard engine has been fully overhauled, It has all mod cons, strainer, fuel separator, new exhaust elbow, etc. The tank is new stainless steel and was so clean three weeks ago that I could have drunk Jura whiskey out of it. Noone ever accused me of "deferred maintenance"!
Old 02-04-2014

captainmurph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
As others have pointed out, if you have a dinghy with an outboard you already have a justincase system- adding the complication of a motor mount to the transom of the big boat is an unnecessary complication.
Well, there is another way to look at this. I'm very aware of the limitations of an outboard regarding "hobby horsing" and the hassle of a stern outboard mount, but consider my situation.

I have a sweet, old Cal 30 that I'm hoping to take on a Great Loop trip next year. At present, I have a 10', air-floor dinghy with a 15 horse outboard. I've been debating about mounting a Garhauer mount on my stern to provide a secure storage point for the outboard when the dinghy is on deck. At about 75 pounds, I really feel the need to install one of these to help manage the outboard and think that storing the outboard on a lift mount would allow possible emergency use as well.

While having no power from my A4 is an inconvenience at worst in many circumstances, having no power while spending two months and 1200 miles from Chicago to Mobile with the mast down is a bit more serious.

When you can't sail, you often depend a lot on your engine. If the engine won't run for some reason, using your dinghy powerplant seems like a very good idea in an emergency.

Murph'

S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI
Old 02-04-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
when the tools you want to add are hammers and all your fasteners are screws.
I've made a good living out of being able to think asymmetrically. If it was common, I'm not sure I could have done that.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-04-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I've made a good living out of being able to think asymmetrically. If it was common, I'm not sure I could have done that.
But not everything requires assymetric thinking. Sometimes it just creates an answer to a question nobody asked.
Simple solutions are elegant solutions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But not everything requires assymetric thinking. Sometimes it just creates an answer to a question nobody asked.
Simple solutions are elegant solutions.
New ideas pass through three periods: 1) It canít be done. 2) It probably can be done, but itís not worth doing. 3) I knew it was a good idea all along!
- Arthur C. Clarke

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico