Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Is a Vang Really Useful on a mid to Large Boat?

I dont think I would of had ANY benefit using a VANG on my wooden 1959 H28 with boom about a foot off the coachroof

so again the answer is NOT ALL BOATS USE VANGS this was a ketch and the boom was probably longer than my main boom on my current boat

sorry for being stubborn here

dinghies of course...

in laser racing if I saw a straight boom upwind you hammered the kid straight till he understood

at least thats what I did as a coach jajaja

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I dont think I would of had ANY benefit using a VANG on my wooden 1959 H28 with boom about a foot off the coachroof

so again the answer is NOT ALL BOATS USE VANGS this was a ketch and the boom was probably longer than my main boom on my current boat

sorry for being stubborn here.....
But there's a difference between saying a vang wouldn't have helped vs a situation where a vang couldn't physically be rigged in any functional way, which is the way I see your example..

Had you raised the boom a foot then a vang could have been fitted and the boat would have been better off for it.. perhaps even to the point of making up for lost sail area... JMO, as ever...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-30-2014

just reading the last few paragraphs here and comments makes me realize that maybe not all of us here have had experience sailing dinghies and small boats...

you really learn so much I recomend it to everyone

vangs arent for preventing gybes...

vangs on small boats, dinghies, racing boats and the like are designed for better sail shape...

you get a bend in a boom and you flatten sail if really windy or get a little pocket if light air...this is paired with outhaul tension and downhaul enabling you to get a better shape and more wind...or less depending on what reach you are.

in laser sailing for example as soon as you round the number 3 marker and head ddw first thing you do is dump release the vang...and outhaul....if your quick you do it all at once...while getting the boat flat or the main up in the air to get cleaner air

(you cant do this on big boats really but just sayin)

that way you get a nice big bellowy sail to fill up with wind and you fill it better and sail better...

now applying this to big boats is hard sometimes...first off its hard to get the sail all billowy and full of air downwind cause most boats especially cruising boats have all sorts of crap, reef lines, winches, lazy jacks, running backstays I mean a whole crap load of stuff on or around the boom and sometomes the outhauls dont even work or are frozen if the sail is rope rigged into the boom etc...

now not all sailboats or cruising boats are setup up this way but I know of very very few big sail boats and captains that would do this each gybe or heading change

I was friends with some guys on an esprit 37 who tuned that boat like a race boat, rod rigging, masive vang, 2 spinnies...and they flew an asymetrical all across the pacific days on end...they were FAST

anywhoo

again I stress vangs do help preventing the boom from going AWOL or like the scenario mentioned above, this happens a lot in laser sailing if you let out the main sheet too much and the boom is forward of the mast downwind...that is not to say its main function is to prevent gybes thats not true

peace
Stumble likes this.

Old 01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
But there's a difference between saying a vang wouldn't have helped vs a situation where a vang couldn't physically be rigged in any functional way, which is the way I see your example..

Had you raised the boom a foot then a vang could have been fitted and the boat would have been better off for it.. perhaps even to the point of making up for lost sail area... JMO, as ever...

yes its horses for courses...but you must understand that not all boats needs vangs or benefit from using one

my boat was designed by herreshof, the good one...having the boom low and close to the coachroof has its benefits too...for one there is less momentum up high...there is less air turbulence(can you say americas cup foilers?) and its easy to douse sails

lastly the boom weighed a whole bunch making the mainsail steadier and less twitchy

designs designs designs...

not every boat is created equal...

Old 01-30-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
that is not to say its main function is to prevent gybes thats not true
Don't think anyone said that... what a few of us have said is that it prevents a 'Goosewing' Gybe - ie a gybe where the boom is free to 'sky' during the maneouver, the mainsail itself gybes half/half along the way - the results can be snagging the backstay, or such violent motion and recovery as to damage the rigging..

But no one has said it's a 'gybe preventer'...
christian.hess likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-30-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Don't think anyone said that... what a few of us have said is that it prevents a 'Goosewing' Gybe - ie a gybe where the boom is free to 'sky' during the maneouver, the mainsail itself gybes half/half along the way - the results can be snagging the backstay, or such violent motion and recovery as to damage the rigging...
Agreed using a vang is the preferred option to prevent 'goosewing gybes'. The other option weighs 95kgs and, in my experience, works almost as well.. although it does require occasional feeding.

Is a Vang Really Useful on a mid to Large Boat?-cid_2b82f436-8044-43fa-8e20-579f2c96cc51.jpg
Faster likes this.
Old 01-30-2014

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post

in laser sailing for example as soon as you round the number 3 marker and head ddw first thing you do is dump release the vang...and outhaul....if your quick you do it all at once...while getting the boat flat or the main up in the air to get cleaner air
Hang on a second here...This statement implies that you don't use the vang DDW on a Laser. You certainly don't want to "dump" the vang. Downwind is when the vang is needed the most! If you don't have correct vang tension your sail will twist excessively and dump air and power. A quick adjustment at the mark rounding is likely, but certainly not a dump! (perhaps it was just a poor choice of words?)
Hull#101
Old 01-30-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Looking at your picture I think: Even with traveler on the aft end of the house it looks like when set up correctly the vang will attach forward of any main sheet tackle.
This means forces on the boom will be spread over more points and a larger area. So even close hauled the boom is less subject to failure.
Old 01-31-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Looking at your picture I think: Even with traveler on the aft end of the house it looks like when set up correctly the vang will attach forward of any main sheet tackle.
This means forces on the boom will be spread over more points and a larger area. So even close hauled the boom is less subject to failure.
..or not, depending upon where he drills the holes...
Old 01-31-2014

flo617 is on a distinguished road

Funny I never sailed my laser to race but my understanding was always that the Vang function was to flatten the sail to depower it in high winds, not the contrary