Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-20-2005

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Seasickness remedies

I would like to hear from those of you who have tried that wrist band that cost $135.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Seasickness remedies

Irwin, we purchased one of these after finding it highly recommended by pilots; see www.equipped.org and you might find some add''l info. My wife tried it when we started cruising again and it seemed to work miracles, so we bought a 2nd one for me (less prone but not without some problems on occasion). We got into a blow on the Chesapeake during our 2000 shakedown, both put on our bands (too late, no doubt, as we were both feeling poorly) and it was a case of total recovery, within a few minutes.

In these incidents, I don''t think our results were initially pychosomatic - in fact, the results were despite our mental attitude - as we were doubtful & curious, not ''believers''. The intensity setting was, for us, very important in order to get good results.

Regrettably, the story doesn''t end there. When going down into the islands of the E Caribbean, my wife tried this unit several more times and, each time, found it to provide somewhat less relief. Eventually, when we later crossed the Atlantic and subsequently got banged around in the North Sea, she never bothered to dig it out.

NASA''s early research on motion sickness - half the astronauts they put in orbit were getting sick - demonstrated two things among others: individuals vary in their response to a given remedy, and a given person''s response to a given remedy can vary. I think this is why all these anecdotal reports on ''what worked for me'' fail to lead to uniform recommendations.

In my case, I don''t normally need anything & simply found oral meds that were at least as effective, when I do. In my wife''s case, she continues to experiment with meds that she can tolerate and don''t complicate or interact with her prescribed meds. But if you plan a lot of sailing and someone in the family or crew has a real problem, I''d encourage you to purchase & experiment with the cheaper (non-replaceable battery) version, as the potential is certainly there to have a major positive impact.

Jack
Old 09-21-2005

Seasickness remedies

Thanks for the response - very interesting. Hopefully I will get more.
Old 09-24-2005

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Seasickness remedies

An ancient remedy is ginger. Has anyone tried it? I was thinking of just taking 500mg of ginger each morning. I have never had any serious problems, but then I have never been seriously challenged. I figure it can''t hurt to try it.
Old 09-25-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Seasickness remedies

I have had used ginger ale to settle my stomach but I have no idea how it works in more extreme conditions.

Jeff
Old 10-07-2005

locrian13 is on a distinguished road
Seasickness remedies

I own one of the battery-operated (replaceable battery) models, and have been satisfied with it. I have had occasion to use it as have friends when they''ve come cruising (darn Lake Michigan weather systems), and it''s worked well. My husband and I will probably purchase another unit so we have two available should the need arise. I found one online for $90.00 at www.cabelas.com. They also advertise ginger pills and some sort of ''all natural'' oil that you ''simply rub on your skin''. Hm...wonder if it''s snake oil?

At any rate, that''s my $.02.
Old 10-07-2005

Seasickness remedies

I have yet to hear someone bad mouth the electronic wrist band. I am ready to order one.
Old 10-08-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Seasickness remedies

You might want to reread all of my post, as it certainly reflects less than sustained effectivenss.

Jack
Old 10-08-2005

pjfsail is on a distinguished road
Seasickness remedies

Have you tried the regular sea band? The little sport band with a ball bearing sewed into to it. I get awfull sea sick at times and wear two of them, one on each wrist. These work great for me. I always have ginger snap cookies on board as well. These and ginger ale do a good job making me feel better. Regards, Peter
Old 10-12-2005

Seasickness remedies

whoosh - thank you. For some reason I did not fully appreciate your entire response. Back to the drawing board?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.