SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Propane tank

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I am looking for a horizontal mount propane tank - 10 lbs or so. I have searched manufactures and West with no luck.

#2 ·
Did you try Googling? I found several 10 lb horiz. tanks ranging from 150. for powder coated steel to 450. for marine grade aluminum. Here''s one for 250., cut & paste the entire link -

http://www.pyacht.net/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?U+scstore+sxnj3290ff176217+pr+swd93137

Steve

#7 ·
I have contacted Worthington. They don''t tell me if they make the tank and tell me I have to go through a distributor, suggesting West Marine. They were even nice enought o give the phone # of the nearest (which, of course, I had) West has no idea if Worthington makes one and say they need a model # from the manufacturer. Catch 22. (I liked that book/movie.)

#8 ·
Irwin32
I picked up a horizontal tank at a propane store in Oxnard, Ca. It was used but the salesman filled it and gave it a 5 year certification. I took it home, painted it and slapped it on the boat. He had several horizontal tanks and a ton of vertical tanks.
The filled tank was sold to me for $20.00.
Yankee30

#11 ·
Irwin
Sorry to take so long in replying but haven''t been on this site in a while.
If you are still interested , the company is AAA Propane Service, 621 Maulhardt Ave. Oxnard, California Phone 805 988 9688
The horizontal tanks don''t need to be converted to the new style valve so that helps.
I have taken my tank off and replaced it with an aluminum vertical tank. I placed two milk boxes on the seat behind the wheel and one holds the anchor rode and the other the propane tank and the trash. I have added tops to these boxes and they make a great seat for motoring in conjested areas where I like to get visibility over the dodger.
Tahitisail

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.