Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road
Re: composting toilet-should we do it

Minnewaska,

we get it. You don't like desiccating heads. Well, I don't like the holding tank. Besides, I asked the man with the desiccating head HIS opinion, since he's the one with the experience.

Thanks.
Kenn43 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
Minnewaska,

we get it. You don't like desiccating heads.....
That's not correct. They have their place, I just don't want one due to some of their downsides and the guests I typically have. I take more exception to incorrect accusations that holding tanks must smell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-21-2014
don't like leanin'

The smell is the least of my problems. I don't like holes in my boat's bottom; the limited capacity, given the difficulty of finding pumpout; the weight; the complexity. I have a holding tank; I know what it's like. I'm trying to learn about desiccating heads, from those experienced with them.
Old 02-21-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That's not correct. They have their place, I just don't want one due to some of their downsides and the guests I typically have. I take more exception to incorrect accusations that holding tanks must smell.
Minn, perhaps you (and everyone else) should review your comments on this topic before you stand in righteous indignation. Please, tell us how long you've had a composting head on your boat. How long have you, or your "guests" actually used one.

You seem to take every opportunity to denigrate the desiccating head based on your, or your "guests," apparent squeamishness. Perhaps I've missed something and you've actually installed one in your boat. In which case, please share. Otherwise, can I suggest you leave this discussion to those who have actual knowledge and experience.
Old 02-21-2014
don't like leanin'

--almost forgot: for those of you with the C-Head

How are the containers (bucket and jug) fastened within the overall enclosure? I know there's a tray underneath, but do the bucket and jug just sit inside?

thanks
Old 02-21-2014

tjvanginkel is on a distinguished road

Multihull girl,

The containers are not fastened inside the C-head. They are an exact fit so do not move around.

And it has been my experience that a properly maintained "separating waterless dessicating " aka composting toilet does not "stink" as some might say.....
Regards,
Tanya

Last edited by tjvanginkel; 02-21-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2014

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Question for the C-Heads:

Is the footprint smaller than the others (air head, nature's head)? Can you customize it?
I ask because the reason I can't have one is because I don't have the 19 or 20 inches needed from front to back.
Old 02-21-2014

amelia is on a distinguished road

Another too-long post vanished into the ether. sigh. I will try again. What was the question?
Oh, yes. the construction of the head is readily apparent on the C-Head.com website. Essentially, the bucket and gallon jug fit snugly inside the waterproof box that forms the base of the toilet. A molded elongated plastic bowl fits atop both. It is hinged at the back. The rear opening in this bowl is maybe 5 inches in diameter, and goes into the bucket. The bowl slopes forward to a smaller spout that fits neatly into the gallon jug. Another hinged flat layer covers the bowl, and has an expanded sort of keyhole opening to the bowl. There is a small cover that fits atop the opening to improve the ventilation draft, perhaps.The toilet seat lowers onto that. so, there are three hinged layers to lift for cleaning and removal of the bucket or jug, which can be easily accomplished with one hand. The churning crank is inserted from the top through the hole in all three layers.

I keep a spray bottle of bathroom cleaner or vinegar water beside the toilet paper and use it for basic routine cleaning. Due to the configuration of the bowl, perhaps, skid marks haven't yet been a problem, but suspect we could manage to deal with it using aforementioned products, being reasonably-good problem-solvers.

Diarrhea may require the addition of a little extra peat/coir/sawdust or whatever desiccating medium is used. (I asked!) Vomiting can be handled similarly, but is said to be best accomplished either over the side or into a plastic-bag lined bucket or trashcan.

Sandy Graves, the manufacturer, offers several sizes and configurations, including slanted bulkhead models, stepped ones, ones to fit in a pointy bow or corner, as well as the standard flat one. Drawings and dimensions are on his website at c-head.com. The standard base is 18", but the slanted one is 15" long.
For the definitive answer on custom jobs, Sandy is the one to ask, and seems very pleasant.

Hope all that is of some use.
LilBabyPenguin likes this.

Last edited by amelia; 02-21-2014 at 10:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to amelia For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (02-22-2014)
Old 02-21-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I see all the c-head fans have perhaps pointedly failed to respond to Minne's comments about diarrhea and skid marks. What do you do if someone has violent runs? That can drop a good amount of fluid, practically water, into the solids container. Not to mention splashing it around in the head.

Do you just add mulch until it is absorbed? And without a flush, do you just put on gloves and wipe down the inside of the head? And leave that paper in it too?
Old 02-21-2014

amelia is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. Guess I could try again to address Minne's concerns, this time in English?
See paragraphs 2 and 3 above?
We have not experienced severe illness aboard our boat, and our experiences so far have not caused us undue hardship. The shape of the bowl (excuse me while I repeat myself) directs effluent directly into a plastic bucket or a plastic disposable gallon jug. That big opening is less susceptible to the greatly feared skid marks than a flush toilet, and in the unlikely event, there is that spray bottle that most grownups can master. So here is the theory for the attack of cholera. Hang on, it is pretty technical.If the plastic gallon pee jug becomes soiled, we throw it away and replace it with another recycled milk jug. If the plastic five-gallon bucket becomes soiled or soaked such that a few handfuls of extra peat cannot deal adequately with it, we dump the bucket contents into a trash bag, seal it securely, and if the bucket is somehow terribly soiled, we can tie a line around the bale, and toss the bucket over the side to rinse it off, just like people do with nasty pumpout hoses. Or we could take a hose and wash it just like spraying off the deck. Not exactly rocket surgery. Then we replace the fiber medium with fresh stuff. Probably takes all of five minutes. See there? Not a big dramatic deal after all. Nothing nearly as exciting as repairing a snarled mascerator.
davidpm likes this.

Last edited by amelia; 02-21-2014 at 11:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to amelia For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (02-22-2014)