Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014

amelia is on a distinguished road
Re: composting toilet-should we do it

It amuses me to see strong sailors brought to their knees by the very thought of having to wipe a toilet bowl. Heaven help 'em if they should ever have to change a baby's diaper, or clean up after a puppy. S(tuff) happens, or so they say. It is a good thing somebody thought to invent soap and water, then, for a quick washup.
Brent Swain likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
What are those, in your view?
Mostly having to haul away your urine. The composters have small urine containers that you need to empty frequently.

Also you need to store some material you add to the solid chamber. This is another item you need to store and it can be messy.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-22-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There is no reason that a holding tank and traditional head must stink. Most, however, have no idea how to properly use them and care for them.
No reason the must, yet they do.

Quote:
There is no guarantee that a composter won't stink
No gurantee, yet they don't.

Quote:
Stinking is not the deciding factor.
Could not disagree with this more. Stinking is completely the deciding factor. I spent 3 years, several thousand dollars, and dozens of hours of labor learning this lesson.

Quote:
Downside to composter?...... teaching the squeamish guest how to use it
Agree with this one.

Quote:
cleaning skid marks (no water)
With no bowl, not sure how you can get skid marks.
LilBabyPenguin likes this.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RainDog; 02-22-2014 at 01:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RainDog For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014

We like the little compressed bricks of coir. A year's supply fits in a shoebox. And as we have been installing pretty cypress tongue and groove paneling, we have quite a supply of pleasant smelling sawdust and shavings, which I scoop up from under the saw table and put in gallon ziplock bags. Two of those last us for weeks.
Hauling a gallon jug of urine up to the bathroom at the marina isn't that hard. I wouldn't dream of dumping a jug of sterile urine overboard, any more than I could imagine someone more conveniently plumbed taking a perfectly legal leak over the lee rail. My gallon of recycled iced tea usually goes on my own azaleas, and they appreciate the nitrogen.
RonRelyea likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to amelia For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Minn, perhaps you (and everyone else) should review your comments on this topic before you stand in righteous indignation. Please, tell us how long you've had a composting head on your boat. How long have you, or your "guests" actually used one.

You seem to take every opportunity to denigrate the desiccating head based on your, or your "guests," apparent squeamishness. Perhaps I've missed something and you've actually installed one in your boat. In which case, please share. Otherwise, can I suggest you leave this discussion to those who have actual knowledge and experience.
You're welcome to ignore or refute my comments, but I will post them as I please. I'm surprised you suggested otherwise.

I don't see where I've expressed any anger over morality? In fact, I've repeated more than once, in this thread, that I think composters have their place.

My primary response in this thread has been to misinformation about holding tanks for which I have decades of experience. In particular, I've rebutted the assertion that they use the same chemicals as porta potties and all traditional heads have to smell. One may want to discuss experience with composters, but these other comments are left for all to read and become misinformed.

I have not used a composter aboard and, if that's sufficient reason for anyone to dismiss my input, you're welcome to. Although, why you would care to stifle the experience I do have is mystifying. I have used composting style heads at various off-the-grid camps, without septic systems. While not marine models, it's the same idea and I've experienced their limitations. Those limitations are not addressed very clearly, until amelia's post, if at all. For definitional clarity, the second post by amelia has some good righteous indignation in it. The most poignant response to limitations is a request to stop bringing them up.

The OP asked to be "talked into it or out of it" by those with experience. While I think my limited, albeit only related, experience applies, I find composter users to cronically leave out all the considerations, although, they are requested.

Whatever decision the OP or anyone else makes, is good with me. See, no indignation.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-22-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Y'know, another use for the urine is in hide tanning, or jellyfish stings

Direct link to C-head site http://www.c-head.com/C-Head.html

someone asked about fit. CH has four different configurations (click on 'specs')
Old 02-22-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're welcome to ignore or refute my comments, but I will post them as I please. I'm surprised you suggested otherwise.

I don't see where I've expressed any anger over morality? In fact, I've repeated more than once, in this thread, that I think composters have their place.
You're right. My comments were a bit strong. I apologize. They come out of exasperation with seeing the same comments, using the apparent squeamishness of your guests. So when Multihullgirl calls you out on this point, and you pirouette to defence of holding tanks, I let frustration drive my keyboard:

Quote:
Downside to composter?...... teaching the squeamish guest how to use it, cleaning skid marks (no water), dealing with diarrhea, how about your guest's diarrhea. I'll stop there. Traditional heads will flush these all way without you ever knowing about them.
You and I and others just had this discussion. You got all the same answers, yet you keep going on about "skid marks," etc. This is why I encouraged readers to go look at the history of your criticisms, and the discussion that has already taken place, such as here:

Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

Please do enlighten us on your experience with marine heads -- you're quite right, they do not have to stink if used properly. Just like using a composting head is no more difficult, even for your squeamish guests, than a standard marine head. Lets move on...

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 02-22-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-22-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
You're right. My comments were a bit strong. I apologize. They come out of exasperation with seeing the same comments, using the apparent squeamishness of your guests. So when Multihullgirl calls you out on this point, and you pirouette to defence of holding tanks, I let frustration drive my keyboard:
Appreciated. All good here. I too have unloaded more than once. Even steven. I will have to go back and see what pirouette you are talking about, that felt a little bit like a back hand, while you are trying to shake the other.

Quote:
You and I and others just had this discussion. You got all the same answers....
Maybe this is where we see things fundamentally differently. I'm not trying to get new answers, any more than you are being redundant in your support of composters, which you've already posted elsewhere. We can't presume that everyone in these discussions has already proofed every comment of ours in all other threads. I'm just addressing the issues in the present, as some of them are never addressed otherwise. That's a fair "into and out of" as the OP requested.

Quote:
Please do enlighten us on your experience with marine heads -- you're quite right, they do not have to stink if used properly. Just like using a composting head is no more difficult, even for your squeamish guests, than a standard marine head. Lets move on...
Mike, you just can't pass judgement on people you don't know. I know my guests. They are good people, with good hearts, but are born, raised and live a metropolitan lifestyle. Several composter users have agreed this is an issue, like one above. I know they aren't going to be comfortable using a composter and I offer that simply for consideration to others is fair input, in my opinion.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-22-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mike, you just can't pass judgement on people you don't know. I know my guests. They are good people, with good hearts, but are born, raised and live a metropolitan lifestyle. Several composter users have agreed this is an issue, like one above. I know they aren't going to be comfortable using a composter and I offer that simply for consideration to others is fair input, in my opinion.
Fair enough. I apologize ... unequivocally this time.
Minnewaska (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014

Oh, my! I am truly impressed at how accommodating some of you are, even to choosing your head to make the occasional delicate guest happy. Seriously! You're mighty nice. I won't be holding myself to your high standards, I am afraid.

Maybe I just am overreacting to what seems a very high-handed entitlement mentality, but the contortions of courtesy people seem to expect are becoming wearing. My dinner guests can't eat gluten, eggs, meat, sugar, seafood, fish, dairy, artificial sweetener, carbs, fat, anything but organic, free-trade produce, alcohol, soda pop, and the list of mutually exclusive demands on my hospitality seems to be endless. Now I am supposed to tailor my plumbing to the occasional picky passenger?

No. Just no. This is my boat, not Burger King, and you'll be having it MY way. You are a guest, not the pampered princeling who owns this yacht, nor am I your loyal indentured servant. You, the guest, may decide whether you can eat this, drink that, or bear to use my toilet, but we have two choices here: Take it or Leave it. Staying ashore is, indeed, an option.

I can see I shall have to rework my welcome-aboard briefing to one more in line with my increasingly curmudgeonly personality. /rant. So there!
The Following User Says Thank You to amelia For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.