Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: composting toilet-should we do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
Regarding the spillage, I was more curious as to the risk of the solid waste spilling. I assumed the liquids would spill. Do you think the hinged covers would pretty much keep the solids contained or at least help to minimize spillage?
On our NH (can't speak for the others for certain), the main compartment is sealed, with hefty locking snaps. The trap door would be closed by gravity if it got over on its side. I think the only way you'd get spillage the whole thing came unbolted from the floor during a rollover.
Old 02-23-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Looked at the Airhead at the boat show. I should think that it would be pretty well sealed against spillage, what with its gasketed seat and cover and latched-down containers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
On our NH (can't speak for the others for certain), the main compartment is sealed, with hefty locking snaps. The trap door would be closed by gravity if it got over on its side. I think the only way you'd get spillage the whole thing came unbolted from the floor during a rollover.
This is one of the things that worried me about the C-Head. It looks like even in rough weather the top could lift up and let the bucket and jug jostle around.
Old 02-23-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
This is one of the things that worried me about the C-Head. It looks like even in rough weather the top could lift up and let the bucket and jug jostle around.
Agreed, although I bet you could find a way to secure things down with a CH. I do know NH would be perfectly secure since it consists of only two rotomolded pieces that are snapped together with hefty latches. I gather AH is similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
Hey Mike -- good list. To 'Disadvantages: Composter" you might add seat height & footprint. Most are around 19" -- 4 to 5" taller than your standard marine head. On older boats, smaller boats, or boats with rounded bilges, it can be challenging to fit a composter w/out your head bumping the ceiling. Also, because they are essentially a bucket, they have less cutaway at the pedestal base than many marine heads & may bump against the curved hull. I see C-Head is offering new designs with the corners clipped, plus one to accommodate the platform of the Mac26. We may need to custom fab one using a shorter 4 gallon bucket due to limited headroom, with pee bottle off to the side for more ankle space.
Yes, good point Bob. I believe the AH and CH have a few different sized options. NH is one size. On our boat it fit fine, but I bet it would be quite the squeeze on a 26-footer. You should post some pics if you get one installed.
Old 02-23-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

I wondered the same thing as bobmcgov until I saw this video. Note the underside of the lid, with its tube which slips into the neck of the jug. The crank framework would hold the bucket. The thing would be to make sure the lid would latch, something easily added if you need it.

Old 02-23-2014

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road

Getting back to the original poster . . . we installed a Natures Head in our Catalina 27 before our two-month live aboard trip in the Bahamas.

Bottom line - it worked GREAT. A few bits of strangeness to get used to: guys gotta sit down to pee (hey, we are actually able to do this), remember to empty the pee bucket before it's 100% full.

Absolutely no smell on board.

We had to "change" to new peat moss after about a month and a half of full time aboard living (two adults).

This was a HUGE improvement over the messing around with vacuum extracting the tank, leaking pipes, plugged macerator pump, and the smell permeating the plumbing (after a few years).

They seem ridiculously expensive, but well built and solid. Good quality stainless fittings.

We are very pleased with this solution - would absolutely do again.

~markb
MikeOReilly likes this.

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Old 02-23-2014
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
I wondered the same thing as bobmcgov until I saw this video. Note the underside of the lid, with its tube which slips into the neck of the jug. The crank framework would hold the bucket. The thing would be to make sure the lid would latch, something easily added if you need it.
Nah, it wuz Dean who worried about spillage. In my personal experience, any near-death experience (like having your boat wholly inverted) tends to leave one sanguine about earthy chores like wiping feces off the ceiling. You might even grin as you shovel up the mess. Cuz you are aware at a cellular level that this is you, alive, cleaning up poop, and isn't today a glorious day for poop cleaning?

One of the happiest mornings ever was spent gathering a couple dozen pieces of aluminum climbing gear that had scattered all over the talus field when the gear bag burst upon being hammer-thrown thirty yards from the tent in the midst of the kind of epic mountain thunderstorm CGI people wish they could replicate. The metal bits were visibly glowing and making popping noises before I chucked 'em; those were three hours I really did not expect to see the other side of.

Playing "find the camming devices" next morning felt a rare privilege. And yeah, a lid latch will solve any question of ballistic turds.
scgator2001 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobmcgov For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (02-23-2014)
Old 02-25-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't say I was all that worried about it so much as just curious. I plan on eventually doing some long distance passages and the ability to secure any opening lids seem fairly important to me. I will have no problem scrubbing feces off the overhead should I ever find myself in conditions so bad that my boat rolls and I live through it. As they say, s#!t happens. I just think a knockdown is much more likely than a rollover and I was curious as to how well these types of heads hold in the crap in a 90 to 100 degree knockdown. Much like how well will the closures on my cabinets keep the dishes where they're suppose to be in the same situation.