Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road
composting toilet-should we do it

We are seriously considering a composting toilet for our 30ft Pearson. The boat currently has a porta-potti which limits us to about three days usage. Ask me how I know.

Space constraints seem to dictate putting a holding tank either under the v-birth or the dinette, both of which seem conducive to neither romance or dining.

So talk me either into it or out of it. I'd like to here from sailors who have real experience with these composters. The few dock neighbors who have them seem very satisfied with them, but I feel funny asking if I can take one for a test ride.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: composting toilet-should we do it

Copy the following into the search field on your browser and you'll find tons of opinions and experiences:

site:sailnet.com composting head

I do not have one. In my opinion, they have their place. However, my largest objection is trying to explain to a guest how to use it and what's going on. Clean the skid marks with this spray, no water. I have guests nearly every weekend, not all are into camping.

The composter is a great solution for capacity and disposal, but knowing you're sitting inches from the last dude's doo and you're going to crank yours into it, will be unacceptable to some. Maybe not rational, but true nevertheless.
northoceanbeach likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 02-03-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-03-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
....putting a holding tank either under the v-birth or the dinette, both of which seem conducive to neither romance or dining....
Ours in underneath the cabin sole by our dinette. You would never know.

I might be a tad reluctant to put it under the v-berth, only because the possibility of a leak would make that a tough place to sleep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-03-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

As Minnewaska says, there's lots that have been written about composting heads. I'd recommend you read through some of the recent threads. As someone who actually has one, I'd say yes. But there are real trade offs (and not really the ones Minn mentions).
Old 02-03-2014

Thanks for the search tip, Minne.

Our bilge would be way too shallow.
Old 02-03-2014

One other thing. My wife requests some comments from female users.
Old 02-03-2014

sulli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Ours in underneath the cabin sole by our dinette. You would never know.

I might be a tad reluctant to put it under the v-berth, only because the possibility of a leak would make that a tough place to sleep.
I own a Pearson 30, under the sole is about 5" deep at the deepest point, right in front of the companionway steps. This space is where all p30's I have seen out the bilge pump. Your answer therefor does not help the OP with his question.
I am considering a composting head for these same reasons, mine is under the v-berth.
Old 02-03-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One other thing. My wife requests some comments from female users.
We don't have one, but if John suggested going that route I'd be game. I'm pretty much ok with trying anything that won't potentially sink the boat, otherwise be unsafe, or make us the laughingstock of any marina.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-03-2014

4arch is on a distinguished road

We had a composting head for the last three years of owning our previous boat. The premise of sailing around with a tank full of liquefied waste was never very appealing to us so we were delighted to be rid of the tank, hoses, and the need to find working pump out facilities every so often. Ultimately, though, the “yuck” factor between the composting head and a holding tank ended up being about equivalent in our minds. We had to deal with a couple of fruit fly infestations, which certainly upped that yuck factor. Explaining usage to guests was about the same – if not a little easier for the composting head. There were definitely fewer opportunities for a guest to screw something up. Having to constantly empty the liquid container at first seemed a small price to pay for not having to deal with holding tanks and pump-outs, but it did get old, getting 36-48 hours max between emptyings for two of us. On balance, we wanted to like the composting head, but just didn't see any true advantage over a holding tank system. We sold ours with the previous boat and don’t plan on putting one back in the new boat.
scgator2001 likes this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4arch For This Useful Post:
capta (02-03-2014), CLOSECALL (02-03-2014), T37Chef (02-04-2014)
Old 02-03-2014

Quote:
....Space constraints seem to dictate putting a holding tank either under the v-birth or the dinette........
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulli View Post
I own a Pearson 30, under the sole is about 5" deep at the deepest point, right in front of the companionway steps. This space is where all p30's I have seen out the bilge pump. Your answer therefor does not help the OP with his question.....
Placing it under the dinette wasn't my idea.

Further, I was only trying to debunk the notion that having it there would interfere with dining.

Jeanneau 54DS