Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-23-2001

Vitamin is on a distinguished road
Pros & Cons: Mainsail furling booms

The PROS and CONS?
This comes to my mind re. in boom main-sail furling systems:

PROS:

You can "trim" your boat with a furling sail system as if you have numerous reefing points.

It stores the sail well protected and neatly inside the boom.

It is really easy to hoist to the exact size you require for the sea conditions.

Works well beside a separate track for a try-sail/storm sail.

Minimum weight up high aloft.

Can be used with a "racy" fractional rig, but usually best with simple masthead systems.

CONS:

It is far to expensive for "what it is".

Depends on a "good installation" to work well and trouble free.

The "descent-rate" of the sail must be precisely controlled, maybe with a adjustable halyard-brake. You cannot let it "free fall" down like when you use lazy jacks.

The boom must be at a pre-set angle to the mast or the sail will roll upp unevenly, much like when you try to roll back a yard of toilet paper!

Any ideas on this subject? Please let us know!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2001

Vitamin is on a distinguished road
Pros & Cons: Mainsail furling booms

I installed a "HOOD Stoboom" system that''s unfortunately no longer available as "new" now, but mine was hardly used. I found this complete system 2nd hand for a fraction of the new cost, so I was happy.
(I initially ordered the new Profurl open boom system, but had some bizare trouble the West Australian distributer, so I had to forget that.)

I like in-boom roller systems because you can use a fully battened sail and trim it much like a "normal" set-up. .

I had some problems with the line-drive and setting the boom aligment, but all is now under control. But, don''t let a "clutsz" use it until instructed and trained..

I have added some sail-reinforcements and loops for a "3rd reef" if things get really hairy down here close to the "Roaring 40''s" .

I just love it when I can first furl the head-sail (from the cockpit...), press the Autopilot button and walk up on deck and roll the 350'' main-sail in about 20-40 seconds, all hidden in the boom .

Hard yacka, but easy now when I put the mainsail halyard on the Anderson winch REVERSED and a elastic cord as "friction brake". It gives the right tension and I can just crank like crazy.

Summary: This stuff is like most gear on a boat, only as god as the installation and the "set-up".

Fair sailing and let me hear what you think of your HOOD Stoboom system!
Old 07-18-2008

fan is on a distinguished road
Just acquired a boat with Stoboom. Agree with Vitamin that it has its good points. But mine slips when reefed in strong wind (winch locked and rope tight as I can get it). Any ideas on how do you stop this.
Old 07-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Fan-

Chances are pretty likely Vitamin isn't going to reply, since it has been SEVEN YEARS since he posted. Please don't revive dead threads, and please read the post in my signature.

BTW, what kind of line are you using on the winch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-18-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Fan...I have a shaeffer system. I am not clear what you mean by "slips". I've never had any problems with mine. A fixed strut holds the boom at the precise angle for furling and you need to keep tension on the main halyard as you lower/reef to get a good, tight wrap. Otherwise the wind will tighten the wrap on the mandrel and leave the sail baggy. Is that what you are taking about?
BTW... I think reviving old threads with new questions is fine...but itis helpful to others if you start by saying..."I know this is an old thread but I have a related question". That way, we don't waste our time reviewing the whole thread. Thanks in advance...and welcome aboard!
Old 07-18-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
BTW... I think reviving old threads with new questions is fine...but
Cam, is that not in violation of SD Posting Rules, Revision JJ-159i, Rule 7432, Section GG, Paragraph 188, Subsection xi, Clause 267; I may have the site wrong, but I tried to bring up the manual in PDF but it crashed my computer, it said I need an IBM supercomputer to read the file!
Old 07-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You should know... you helped me write them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by max-on View Post
Cam, is that not in violation of SD Posting Rules, Revision JJ-159i, Rule 7432, Section GG, Paragraph 188, Subsection xi, Clause 267; I may have the site wrong, but I tried to bring up the manual in PDF but it crashed my computer, it said I need an IBM supercomputer to read the file!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.