Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-18-2005

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Winterizing

Is there any reason why I couldn''t use windshield washer fluid to winterize the raw water side of my fresh water cooled Yanmar? It is a lot cheaper, and protects to very low temperatures. I''m in Virginia, where winter temperatures are normally moderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2005
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Winterizing

Windsheild washer fluid, although cheaper than non-toxic engine antifreeze and having anti-freeze characteristics, will not protect the iron components of the raw water section of your engine from corrosion.
Old 11-19-2005

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Winterizing

This is my first year owning a diesel, so I used the good stuff to winterize my engine, but a lot of people use RV antifreeze. Is it any better than windshield washer fluid, or does it have the same deficiency?
Old 11-19-2005
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Winterizing

Good question . . . I would suspect RV/Marine antifreeze to have a lower freeze point than washer fluid and is non-toxic, since it''s developed for use in pressurized onboard water systems . . . not that that matters any with a boat engine. However, all boaters should ensure that whatever is added to fill the engine block over the winter, is non-toxic. Good for the environment & safe for the critters & pets that may consume it.

Aside from that, there dosen''t appear to be any other advantages over washer fluid.

I only use marine engine, non-toxic stuff in my diesel''s raw water section, since it possesses anti-corrosion ingredients. The cost is only a couple dollars more per gallon . . . substitutes are false economy. Using anything else misses the point of adding anything at all. Just completely drain all the sea water if you''re that cheap.

Steve
Old 11-24-2005

BeneteauMark is on a distinguished road
Winterizing

Besides the other reasons mentioned (corrosion protection, et al), I wouldn''t use windshield washer fluid for another reason. Washer fluid typically contains methanol as its anti-freeze, and methanol deteriorates rubber. I see the potential for problems in hoses, impellers, etc.

FWIW,
Mark
Lake St. Clair, MI

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.