SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Winterizing

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BeneteauMark 
#1 ·
Is there any reason why I couldn''t use windshield washer fluid to winterize the raw water side of my fresh water cooled Yanmar? It is a lot cheaper, and protects to very low temperatures. I''m in Virginia, where winter temperatures are normally moderate.

#4 ·
Good question . . . I would suspect RV/Marine antifreeze to have a lower freeze point than washer fluid and is non-toxic, since it''s developed for use in pressurized onboard water systems . . . not that that matters any with a boat engine. However, all boaters should ensure that whatever is added to fill the engine block over the winter, is non-toxic. Good for the environment & safe for the critters & pets that may consume it.

Aside from that, there dosen''t appear to be any other advantages over washer fluid.

I only use marine engine, non-toxic stuff in my diesel''s raw water section, since it possesses anti-corrosion ingredients. The cost is only a couple dollars more per gallon . . . substitutes are false economy. Using anything else misses the point of adding anything at all. Just completely drain all the sea water if you''re that cheap.

Steve

#5 ·
Besides the other reasons mentioned (corrosion protection, et al), I wouldn''t use windshield washer fluid for another reason. Washer fluid typically contains methanol as its anti-freeze, and methanol deteriorates rubber. I see the potential for problems in hoses, impellers, etc.

FWIW,
Mark
Lake St. Clair, MI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.