Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-02-2005

KenD is on a distinguished road
Larger to Handle all

Sparrow is up on blocks and it''s time to do some long awaited work on her.I would like to make a larger thruhull so to combine Engine,reverse-air,and salt water supply to the head and galley.I then could get rid of three thru hull fittings and their associated worries. the present engine thru hull is 1/2 inch I am thinking of increasing to a 1 inch. This seems like a good idea but if you would pardon the pun (will it hold water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2005

Gord-May is on a distinguished road
Larger to Handle all

A 1" dia. thru-hull will provide 4 times the capacity of a Ĺ" dia. fitting. The trick is to properly manifold the larger supply, to provide multiple smaller end-use appliances, without interference. For this reason, manifolding is not usually recommended for water supplies, but reserved for low-pressure drainage.
Old 12-05-2005

Larger to Handle all

I Think you are trying to tell me if all are being used at the same time I will run into distribution problems. I use the aux for little more than the twenty minutes it takes to get out to sailing area and back,and I have not used the salt water in the galley at all,the head intake is used minumilly, and I wanted to add reverse air which will be used at the dock,doubtful if it would be used while sailing in the bay.With these parameters can I resize to either 3/4 or 1" intake and do away with the others?
Old 12-06-2005

h37skipper is on a distinguished road
Larger to Handle all

Agreeing with Gord here. Even with check valves(which restrict and fail) I would not do that. I went from 1/2" to 3/4" so that I could install a real seacock. Then with an elbow and a ''T'' valve I can supply both the engine and the A/C/heat. But never at the same time.

My head intake will also have a ''T'' valve to supply a washdown pump. Again just one at a time.
Old 12-08-2005

Larger to Handle all

Ok What I am hearing is going to a 3/4 seacock is okay as long as I don''t run the motor and air at the same time.Gord if I forget about the head and galley intakes,which could be used any time I should be able to do this,Not kosher but doable? thanks for input folks see you in the spring.
Old 12-12-2005

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Larger to Handle all

I believe care should be taken to combine water intakes that the engine uses as the line may suck air and burn your engine up. Also Apollo makes a 1" bronze thruhull that can be fitted with a barb that is the full 1" flow. I believe Groco makes the barb that is called full flow or something like that. I will try to remember or go thru my reciepts and repost.

Pigslo
Old 12-20-2005

Larger to Handle all

Thanks folks! If motoring the valve for the ac should be turned off when at the dock the valve for the motor will be turned off.this way the water is not drawn out of thier respective lines which could cause a burn out of either one. Is this the right reasoning behind my original message.
Old 12-21-2005
Catalina 38 Avantura

duffer1960 is on a distinguished road
Larger to Handle all

I don''t think that would be a good idea. What happens the one time you forget to turn the valve one way or the other? It would only take once.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.