Recommendations for connectors - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 03-29-2014

Re: Recommendations for connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Most yards won't let you go up the mast on the hard. Frankly I wouldn't go up on land. Talk to your yard about what you want to do and take their advice.
No...They pull the stick before they put the boat on the hard, and step it when the boat is back in the water. That's why I needed a way to disconnect the wires at the mast step (keel stepped BTW). I need to inspect the base and rigging, need access to the base to rewire the mast and probably replace the spreaders anyway.

Last edited by L124C; 03-29-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 03-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWinch View Post
Many yachts do not take the mast down every year. If you are one of them, I recommend not to have any connector at all. Take the cables straight through and leave some extra cable just below the through hole. Next time you take the mast down, cut the cable and insert the connector then. Saves corrosion problems and gives the best performance.
I don't understand. You recommend not having a connector, then installing one? What's the difference if I do it when the mast is stepped or not?

Last edited by L124C; 03-29-2014 at 02:55 AM.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-29-2014

A good solution is a terminal strip inside the boat, under the deck where the wires exit. This leaves continuous wires anywhere they can get wet. No connector needed.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #14 of 17 Old 03-29-2014

I understand that you are taking the mast down at every haul out so you do need a connector. However, the original suggestion that you don't put a connector in made sense for me in that my mast stays in the boat at haul out. That was 15 years ago and I still don't have a connector. Sure...when the mast is pulled I'll cut the wire and put one in, but for those 15 years another source for degradation of the signal has been removed.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-29-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
A good solution is a terminal strip inside the boat, under the deck where the wires exit. This leaves continuous wires anywhere they can get wet. No connector needed.
That's fine, and good practice, for lights. No so good for radio and radar or even Ethernet. Couplers are okay for Ethernet. Couplers are okay for VHF although a shielded box with an SO-239 is better and an in-line SO-239 better yet (see https://www.therfc.com/uhf.htm or Tower Electronics Online Wholesale Catalog - Page One ). For radar that includes coax definitely check with the manufacturer, or use a radar pole on the stern.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-29-2014

One easy way to prevent cable noise in the mast is to attach the wire bundle with 3 zip ties with tails left on and rotated 120d each. The zip ties tails will keep your wires in the center of the mast.

I put a tie wrap trio every 18-24 inches and sleep tight.

If your wires exit inside the cabin near the roof make sure your wires drop down before exiting, as it will prevent water that gets into the mast from following the wires into the cabin.

Good luck with your project.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-29-2014

A simple but effective approach would be to mount he VHF antenna on the stern pulpit and thereby eliminate the connector. For the lights use a Cole-Hersee trailer plug and socket set. The plug and sockets are protected with a rubber boot. They're available with from two to four pins.
James757 likes this.

Tags
electical , wiring

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.